1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going public?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Compassman, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Since I have left teaching I have thought about how poorly staff at my old school were treated.

I am thinking of publicising the abuses of power, the way staff were put under tremendous pressure and the culture of fear.

I still have a number of friends who still are suffering there and feel that the abuses should be made public. Schools are very good at making themselves look good but it really annoys me that an employer can treat people like this.

Has anyone else ever done this?

Apple_trice, Camokidmommy and lanokia like this.
  2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Not about a specific school. But I have been involved in a campaign concerning pay and conditions of supply teachers. Have you read this thread on Personal, Compassman?

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think schools thrive under a cloak of secrecy... posted about it on here myself.

I'd love to see certain schools be exposed.

4. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

It is incredibly difficult. I have personal experience of local authorities colluding to cover behaviour that had criminal liability. I have in my possession confidential briefings between the most senior staff in a LA about the antics of one Headteacher - and with this knowledge they STILL covered his back.

petenewton and lanokia like this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Agree with GLsG that is incredibly difficult and even if it was made known, would anyone take action as the case GLsG demonstrates.

6. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I guess in depends on how you want to play this @lanokia. The broadsheets love to run stories that expose dodgy goings-on by people in public office (think the MPs' expenses scandal). Could you take the backlash?

7. Pepper78

Pepper78 New commenter

I share your frustration at the injustice Compassman. Trouble is they get us to sign gagging clauses in exchange for the reference that is a life line for most of us, so they can carry on with their corruption and intimidation without even most of the governors or staff knowing what's gone on. People won't talk for fear of reprisals and when they do their treatment confirms everyone's fears that speaking up will be costly. What is it they say about evil though... requires only that good men do nothing.

needabreak, RedQuilt and lanokia like this.
  8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

This is where you write the book! (The story is true; names and places have been changed to protect the guilty.)

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

@Compassman Do you mean in general terms, or by naming and shaming individuals and schools? The latter has many legal risks, whether it would comply with Whistleblowing law etc. But I'm sure you know that.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

@snowyhead has summed it up perfectly.

I suggest that you write it all up, and print it off, put it in a nice file folder, and read it from time to time.

Enjoy the feeling of superiority as you look down from the moral high ground.

But don't touch that hornet's nest with any stick, however long.

[​IMG]

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05, Gsr25 and snowyhead like this.
  11. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Knowing what happened and being able to prove it are different things. Be very careful lest you damage yourself. Possible legal costs would be the stuff of nightmares.

12. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I couldn't have put it better; moreover, very often the perception that things are wrong cannot be supported by hard evidence. That's not to say that you're wrong, but that you may well find it extremely difficult to prove that you're right.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

@Yoda-

Surely you mean .... Stuff of nightmare possible legal costs would be.

;)

But you're right [or right you are]... so much of what SLT's get away with is based on secrecy and a lack of paperwork. This is why I don't trust people who talk about evidence... it's never two sided.

Evidence in education obviously... not in law enforcement.

kibosh likes this.
  14. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

...and even if you have very hard evidence...even if you are advised throughout by one of the most respected QCs in the land...even if you get them in court...even if you and the world can observe them lying under oath in the witness box...even when it's very obvious to the judge...even then...

...success may depend on a very precise point-of-law and the interpretation of that.

To get to that point may cost somewhere in the region of £50k and not everyone can get their union to fund that for them.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Makes me sad how protected a ****** up system is...

Apple_trice and RedQuilt like this.
  16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Sometimes you have to accept that all that you can do is join in on a generalised SWIPE at what is wrong . . . yes, it's a compromise, but it keeps you safe etc. whilst allowing a degree of vindication . . . that's why I pointed Compassman in the direction of Lascarina's thread on personal . . . .

17. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Comments noted.

18. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Don't be put off Compassman

As with all those threads telling people they'll be sued if they break a contract when a school is treating them abominably, teachers like to scare themselves over things like this.

There's already a fair bit of this sort of stuff on Twitter. No one has been sued as far as I know. Schools don't want the attention. Just like when the overly-attentive male member of staff is eased out rather than the issue being confronted. Or when drugs are found on a pupil etc...

Apple_trice likes this.
  19. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

That's far too easy for you to say. You have no idea what he might be thinking of saying, about whom and what evidence he might have. There are teachers out there whose lives have been ruined by people (often parents) ink they have every right to say what they like about them.

20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Teachers are being treated appallingly up and down the land. It's high time they started kicking back.

Some chains in particular are getting away with truly horrendous behaviour, and the widespread use of gagging clauses shows where the weight of argument lies...

Not saying what you believe - or know - to be true is no way to live your life

Apple_trice likes this.