1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

going part time

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jibberjabber77, Sep 26, 2020.

1. jibberjabber77

jibberjabber77 New commenter

Hi everyone

wondering how easy it is to go from full time working to 0.6. what do i have to do and would i have to leave my current job?

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It depends on your school. First thing is to have a chat to your head (or possibly a deputy) and see the feasibility from the schools point of view.
    If they're OK with it, then it happens and probably no admin from your point of view. If they don't like it, then you've got to start applying elsewhere.
    Another option might be to think about a job share. If you can find a partner it may make life easier for the school.

mothorchid and strawbs like this.
  3. catslovelycats

catslovelycats New commenter

I went to .7 a few years ago. My head was very amenable.

4. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

When I was in education I changed from 5 days to 4 days pw and the Head at the time was more amicable. Had a change of head and requested 3 days and not so amicable. One of the reason I moved on. Try the head - many schools are quite agreeable if it does not pose too much of an issue operationally. Also, it may depend on the subject you teach.

Pomza and agathamorse like this.
  5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If the first informal approach doesn't produce results, you do have the option of making a formal "flexible working" request. The school has to consider that, and has to give sound business reasons for turning down the request. If they're dead against part-time, they'll probably find something, but they do have to work a bit harder to say no. When you make the request, the standard proforma has a space for you to say what the impact of your proposed working pattern would be, and how this could be resolved. That means that if you have an idea of the reasons they might give, you can try and pre-empt them (eg not wanting split classes - produce evidence that existing split classes do as well as not-split classes, inability to recruit for the other hours - you might know somebody looking for part-time work).

agathamorse, strawbs and TheoGriff like this.
  6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Definitely depends on your school. I was full time for many years then went down to 0.8 last year, which didn't really feel much different. This year (pre-retirement) I'm doing 0.6 and that feels very much part time. It takes some getting used to; you can feel 'out of the loop' - but I'm loving it.

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes. If it gets this far, a bit of help from your union would be useful before you make the application, as you only get to ask formally once a year. I think it wise to have an informal chat with your Head first. If they agree, problem solved. If not, then you might well hear why they disagree, which will give you a list of problems you can give solutions to in your application.

I never went part time - preferred to retire from full time - but others at my school had no problems with changing their hours. But some schools don't like the idea. Note that this, in itself, is not a valid reason for turning a formal application down.

agathamorse and strawbs like this.
  8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I think you're a science teacher? Bear in mind, particularly if making a formal application, that a request at this time of year is going to be easier to refuse than a request for a change in September, made before they start writing the timetable. It may be possible to avoid split classes when writing the timetable, but it's very hard once it is written.

DaisysLot, agathamorse and Piranha like this.
  9. Newidentity

Newidentity Occasional commenter

In the current situation, and given that we've only just started the school year, I'd be surprised if SMT were ecstatic with this. If you're thinking of going part time from next September, they might be much more amenable. I'd go the informal discussion route first, and then you can see where the land lies. Although you do have the right to make a formal application for reduced hours, they could quite reasonably say that this is not a convenient time to be looking for a replacement.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

Depends if you’ve got a colleague that you can ‘job share’ with, if you haven’t, you might find it harder for sure.

11. Braindead101

Braindead101 New commenter

I agree with the comments made so far. I went from ft to 0.8 and then a couple of years later to 0.6 after informal discussions and agreement with my ht. Changed from ft in September so that made it easier.
    Points to consider financially: Tax / NI / Pension contributions all go down to help cushion the pay drop. Your pension contribution rate may also drop according to your salary level. Mine did when I went from 0.8 to 0.6.
    Do remember to that pension accrual slows down too - that may impact on the amount you get when claiming your pension.
    Make sure the pt contract is suitable before committing to the change i.e. what days would you be working? Would you only be happy with working Mon - Wed, or would say Mon, Wed, Fri do as working days? My governors were happy to let me go part time but said the hours were for me and the ht to work out.
    I loved going part time!

12. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

I changed to PT last year after nearly 30 years continuous service full time. This was the only way I could continue after serious WRS and depression that kept me out of the classroom for 5 months. I have taken a financial hit but had no choice. I was fortunate that a PT colleague left and a space for me was there. I can fully appreciate how hard a task it must be asking a school to create a job share role for you. However, schools need to get more flexible. I can see this becoming much more common especially for staff nearing retirement.

There are challenges for not being their full time and you certainly have to work hard to ensure quality continuity for your class (you will work more than your timetabled days). With a great partner you can be dynamic and the kids benefit from the strengths of 2 not 1.

There will, inevitably, be a loss of status even if subconsciously. If you are not there all the time you somehow don’t seem to have the kudos you once had. Shame but it happens.

13. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Why do you say this, Sally? I disagree . In my experience going part time did not change my status at all. I had a very good job share partner. We worked very well together. There was no loss of kudos for either of us.Perhaps some schools are less accepting. Part time workers often give more than than they should and the school gets a good deal.I enjoyed my part time days.

Piranha likes this.
  14. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Edit to my above post.
    It's all about teamwork. Part timers are just as important members of the team as full time workers. :) .