1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going part time after maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by erinclasper, Feb 5, 2018.

1. erinclasper

erinclasper New commenter

Hello,

I’m meeting with my Head teacher tomorrow to discuss my return to work and was looking for some advice. I am currently 3 months in to my maternity leave, having taught full time before having my baby. I am hoping to return just before the summer in order to get paid over the summer. I will work 2 weeks full time and then after the summer I’d like to reduce my hours to 4 days a week.

I read in the Burgandy Book ‘It is important to note that if it is agreed that you can return to work on a part-time basis, you are still required to complete the equivalent of 13 weeks of your previous weekly hours of service on your return to be entitled to full occupational maternity pay.’ Does this mean that following the summer holiday I would need to work a further 10 weeks full time before reducing my hours?!

Any advice gratefully received!

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

No, it means you will need to complete the 13 x 5 days to be entitled to retain the maternity pay. For you, this would be two weeks x 5 days then, if agreed, a further 55 days at 4 days a week. If you resigned before then you would be liable to repay some maternity pay

erinclasper likes this.
  3. thecagedbird

thecagedbird New commenter

The holidays also count. So in order to retain your full maternity pay you would need to work the 2 weeks in July. You can then count the 6 weeks of the summer holiday as worked. So you’ll have 8 weeks before you reduce your hours. Then you have to do 25 more days- if you were doing 4 days a week that would be 5 weeks and one day.

erinclasper likes this.
  4. erinclasper

erinclasper New commenter

Thank you both for your help!

5. nattig

nattig New commenter

Did you find out what you will have to do? I'm in the exact same place as you (3 months into maternity and want to go back 4 days a week in Sept, after doing 2 weeks in July).

I'd love to know before I go in to chat to my Head!