1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going over to the other side?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, Jan 23, 2011.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I will be faced with a tricky decision soon and could do with some advice / ideas / anecdotes / thoughts/ etc, please.
    My current job is going to disappear and I have been encouraged to apply for SMT position in same school. Don't want to give too many details on here, but would really appreciate the chance to mull it over.
    If I don't get it or don't apply, there is going to be a less demanding role available instead, but that would also involve less autonomy than at present.
    Thing is, what happens to people who become 'one of them'? I am a happy soul, - one of the 'troops' - who gets on very well with colleagues at all levels. Is this a one way route to isolation and being talked about behind my back?
    Are my stereotypes about SMT out of date?
    ideas?

2. I'm in the same boat and am currently having to decide if I make that "never to go back" move to SMT.
    I'm sort of half way there with my current role, in a mainstream school my duties would be done by SMT, but I'm in FE and things are so very different there.
    I waver day-to-day, sometimes thinking I might as well just go for it but then common sense kicks in and I remind myself that I absolutely LOVE teaching and couldn't even contemplate not having that contact with students.
    I think I'm going to leave the leap until I'm a bit older. I've still got young children (youngest is 6) and life's hardly straightforward for me.
    There's the joke at our place that people who have made the leap to SMT have the "management chip" inserted as part of their SMT.
    If you were to look at my SMT you'd realise that your stereotypes about SMT are very current[​IMG] Some of our SMT are nice though and very respected for their work and we certainly don't do them down behind their backs.

3. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I would hope so.
    'The other side', 'One of them' and such perceptions and comments are precisely the reason why so many members of the SLT find it difficult to do their jobs effectively.
    I hope, if you do decide to get the job, that the barriers to effective communication that you and your colleagues have build do not prove to be insurmountable once you are transported to 'the other side' and you are trying to be effective in your new role.

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Pretty much - yes. Maybe not so much the talked about behind your back, that depends on how good you are.
    People will feel guarded talking about issues that affect them in front of you as you will be the one pushing the *** uphill while they think it should just sit at the bottom and be ignored. That or they will feel you are ignoring what you should really be pushing.
    Once you get to SMT you don't seem to socialize at school in the same way any more or be able to have the same relationships. I'm sure there must be exceptions out there but they are few and far between from what I have seen.

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Surely in the end its down to whether you can actually manage the load and feel ready for the task. I became SMT at one stage and loved it.........would have stayed there had i not fallen out with the head due to his constant interference and willing ness to chuck all decisions onto the SMT to implement and not carry the work himself, as he was supposed to.
    If you have a supportive head it will give you valuable experience and is useful as a step up towards further leadership.
    You can stiil maintain your relationship with the 'crew',,,,but remember always what you decice might at some time lead to disatisfaction..tough..your there to manage!

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

If you are really concerned about staying as one of the gang I suggest you think very hard about that. Are you really going to turn down a good career move because someone might have a winge about you behind your back. I can assure you - they do that already - they're bound to, no one is immune from that. I think you should take it on - and take what you know about how it feels to be a "foot soldier" into the SMT. No one should go to work just for the friends they make - you're there to do a job so give your school your expertise and enjoy doing that. Any of your colleagues who turn against you are not worth worrying about. Come on girl - it's time to grow up!!

8. A very good friend/colleage of mine, recently 'went over to the other side' and still maintained a fantastic relationship with the crew..well liked and always very supportive and remained that way, without changing.
    Unfortuantly for us 'crew', but luckily for her, she moved on to be a Dept Head in another school, and we all miss her dearly.
    If you already have a good relationship with your crew, that needn't change, people accept you for the way you are.
    Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

9. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

I wouldn't want it simply because I have no ambition and no desire to take on any extra responsibility.
    I have recently been made SENCo and am happy enough to learn all I can about that role but as for anything else...No thank you!
    You, however, sound ready for the challenge and are only worried about other's perceptions, if that is the case then go for it.xx

10. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

I thought you'd already gone over to the 'other side', giraffe ....

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I can only speak from my own experience as a mere footsoldier, but it seems to me that those members of SMT who've risen through the ranks within the school and who have been there a long time are generally more respected and approachable than the sort of imported yes men (and women) that some Heads appoint to hide behind.

And don't even get me started on 'fast track' imports.

The main problem with still trying to be one of the gang beyond Assistant Head level is accusations of favouritism, but some can handle it well.

12. It really disappoints and annoys me when people create us and them situations. People will talk behind your back, of course, but don't kid yourself that they don't already.