1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going out on a school night

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dusty67, Jan 11, 2011.

1. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

When I was deputy, my mum started to have our boys to stay over one night a week. I used this night to stay later and later at work. On a regular day I left at 6 at night but on this night left at between 8 and 9. I should say that my Head was a very autocratic, pace-setter! Not quiet a bully, but probably would have been if I had let him.
    After a few weeks I realised that this was ridiculous, my marriage was heading for the divorce courts and I certainly wasn't any better at my job. We (me and hubby) decided that once a month instead of working late, we would go out for a nice meal and spend some proper time together. That soon grew into once a week. I still worked till 6, but then left and went straight out with hubby.
    Even though the boys are long past needing a babysitter, they still sleep at Grandma's on a Wednesday night and we still go out each Wednesday night. And, fortunately, my marrigae is stronger now than it ever was.
    And now that I'm a Head, my staff leave me alone on a Thursday morning, till my headache has cleared [​IMG]

2. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

<strike>quiet</strike> quite

3. When I was younger and up till I was 45 or so I used to work at a Youth Club for three nights a week. Went to to the pub after it finished and also went out the other two nights as well. When I stopped doing Youth work I just went to the pub every night for an hour instead. Now I'm retired I hardly ever go out at all - just Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

If I had had to stay in night after night doing nothing but school work i would have had a breakdown.

4. No, I rarely go out on a school night. Like another poster said, it panics me too. I get really worried about being tired the next day. Not that it should matter, I'm always tired anyway! Now I'm living on my own I really should make the effort and do something.

5. I recently left a job where 2 evenings a week was the norm, on top of full working days (adult ed) so was either at work or zedding on the sofa. Now finish at 5 prompt every day, and am starting to feel that I might actually be able to have a life on weekday evenings.Any suggestions what to do - I've forgotten what's out there!

6. Out usually 3 times a week,not necessarily late, gym, hobbies etc.

7. Not often but yes - to watch football, to see friends, even been known to have a pint or two!

8. Yes - I'm off to the cinema tomorrow night and OH and I usually have a night off cooking and go for a pub meal during the week.

9. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I don't know how you find the time!

I am in bed 2 hours after I get home.

10. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

As a single person, living on my own, I try to keep busy so I do musical society on Mondays and have extra rehearsals on Wednesdays and Sundays, Brownies on Wednesdays (Before musical thing) and Orchestra on Thursdays.
    BUT I do find I do too much and don't have a lot of relaxing time and I'm going out for tea tonight!

11. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

every now and then i go gigging, but you can't really dictate when a band plays...

12. Professor Dumbledore

Professor Dumbledore New commenter

I quite often stop for a quick drink in my local on the way home. If I've had a really good/bad day I might go home, smarten up then go out for a few. (Not stupid amounts though, don't do kids and hang overs!) I don't do this so much now, as leaving the car and having to traipse in to get it the next morning is a pain.
    My ex was a right night owl, and I got into the habit of staying up till midnight/one am on school nights - I was wandering aorund like a zombie at school. Horrible.
    As for other things, I would never turn down a fun event because it was a school night. Cinema, meal, etc, as long as it didn't involve a really late night.

13. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i've been known to roll in at 2 or 3 from a gig, if it involves travelling. good fun next day (not) but i'm not missing special things if i don't have to. they're VERY rare though.