1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going on supply after 3 years!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Teacher_abc123, May 25, 2019.

1. Teacher_abc123

Teacher_abc123 New commenter

Anyone else doing similar?
    Time to give myself a break from the constant scrutiny and monitoring. Time to look after my health. I am a creative, stifled by an uninspiring and indecisive head who never says thank you or well done. Time for a change!

2. hellyhoolie

hellyhoolie New commenter

I’ve recently done it. The intention was to do supply until I get a permanent job (possibly non-teaching). If I could afford to, I’d carry on doing it as a career but I can’t afford to live on these wages. My daily rate is a lot lower than if I was being paid to scale but I suppose that’s how the agency can get me plenty of work- by undercutting others.
    On a positive note though, I haven’t felt this happy and relaxed in years. I enjoy the variety and the knowledge that I don’t have to go back to a school if I don’t like it. Good luck with whatever you decide x

DexterDexter, Shedman, DIPS1 and 3 others like this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Teacher_abc123

If you need any help/advice/information over on the supply forum there are threads about some of the things you might need or want to know in case you are new to supply.

One of the perks as hellyhoolie says is if you don't like a school you don't have to go back.

4. Teacher_abc123

Teacher_abc123 New commenter

Thank you folks! I won a pay appeal in December and knew things wouldn’t be easy after that. Now I haven’t got any fight left within me and just want to be happy x

5. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

I left a horrendous job and went on supply in 2015. I've just got a permanent job again this week. The good side of supply is that you can leave at the end of the day and not go back. It can and does rebuild your self confidence and you get to work in a wide variety of schools.

However, work isn't guaranteed. You can go weeks without a single day's work. The pay is much lower than a permanent post. Long term supply is essentially doing the full time job and all that entails for less pay.

Having said that, I had to get out of my last horrible school before it broke me, so I know where you're coming from. Just wanted to give you a fair view of life on supply.

6. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Good luck, OP.
    Well done on the permanent post, @agathamorse

DexterDexter, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.