1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going on holiday - Spain just locked down

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by hs9981, Jul 26, 2020.

1. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...g-quarantine-free-travel-Spain-overnight.html

Doh - what did you expect?

Head teacher Q&A:

I'm stuck abroad; now I need to self isolate at home for 14 days. Will i still be paid?

'No'. So don't go abroad. The warning signs are here, now, FLASHING!!!

Wow, wow, the UK opened up boarders, as the US did, booze, lack of social distancing, South Florida example........

The UK needs to be honnest with itself....

This virus does not discriminate......

install and Corvuscorax like this.
  2. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

'But I deserve a break!.........

You know these people at your work......

Corvuscorax likes this.
  3. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

Feel sorry for all those thousands of holiday makers who were looking forward to their holiday after a catastrophic year already.

Let’s hope there is some government financial support for those holiday makers who are still in Spain and will encounter a loss of income for not returning to work on scheduled date due to quarantining!

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Actually, no. Quite frankly anyone who has gone/is going abroad should have listened to all the warnings about a 'second wave'. They took a gamble, and it hasn't paid off.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The NEU advice for members is:
    Prebooked before covid-19 holidays, any quarantine time should be paid leave as you could not possibly have known this when you booked.
    Booked after covid-19 holidays, quarantine should be unpaid leave as you knew it was a real possibility when you booked.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

When the government announced the airbridges a couple of weeks ago they were giving the green light for holiday travel

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said: 'Today marks the next step in carefully reopening our great nation. Whether you are a holidaymaker ready to travel abroad or a business eager to open your doors again, this is good news for British people and great news for British businesses.
    Yes they said it would be kept under review and could change but your comments are unnecessarily censorious IMO.

I expect we will all enjoy the irony that Shapps took himself at his own word and is now in Spain and will have to quarantine himself.

EDIT I can't find anything that justifies the claim in the thread title "Spain just locked down" The article is about UK quarantine rules and travel advice, not a change of lockdown rules in Spain overnight. There are a number of local lockdowns in Spain but none as stringent as the (now lifted) national emergency lockdown where you couldn't leave your house at all.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Catgirl1964, strawbs and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

well, I don't really.This sort of event is INEVITABLE. I don't understand the idea that there should have been more warning. What? so everyone can rush back into the UK from high risk areas? NO

NO, really, don't go abroad unless you can afford it. Noone elses problem. So many peope are strruggling through no fault of their own.

8. Rott Weiler

Who is stopping people in high risk areas from rushing back to the UK now? They aren't prevented from leaving Spain. One of my neighbours family is 'rushing back' to the UK right now.

9. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

hopefully the quarantine is going to be strictly enforced

ACOYEAR8 and Pomza like this.
  10. Morninglover

I just don't think anyone coming back and having to quarantine should be recompensed financially by the taxpayer. (As suggested in post 3).

I'm not suggesting they did anything wrong or illegal, just that they took a gamble that their holiday would go smoothly. And it failed.

Pomza and TheHeadteachersOffice like this.
  11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It's such a pity that Nicola Sturgeon who had kept Spain on her red list when she gave the go ahead to travelling to other countries,decided to give travelling to Spain the green light last Thursday. On the same day,I was reading that France was considering closing the border between France and Spain.

I wish she had stuck to her guns as she would have been proven right.

bonxie and bombaysapphire like this.
  12. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

There is a Brexit thread for you. ****. (The fashion brand).

Go buy a scarf.

13. Rott Weiler

Quarantine in the UK hasn't been enforced at all according to media reports that I've seen. A small number of phone calls and no home visits was what I read. It's another of those things that relies on your sense of social duty and isn't enforceable in any meaningful way by the state.

14. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice Occasional commenter

Absolutely- we were very clear at my place that any quarantine periods for trips booked after March this year would need to be taken as unpaid leave.

Alternatively, staff will have the option of attending school for 2 weeks during holiday periods to carry out tasks like cleaning and painting/refurbishment of the SMT offices and break-out areas.

Corvuscorax likes this.
  15. Rott Weiler

I have no idea what you are talking about. It was your thread tile. Has Spain locked down again or not? Don't mess us around, just explain what you mean. Thank you.

16. Rott Weiler

I just knew you wouldn't be able to resist thinking up something provocative :D:D:D

17. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Are you having hot tubs installed or something?
    Get the serfs cleaning!

18. Morninglover

I disagree 100% that forcing staff to paint or refurbish the school - classrooms let alone SMT rooms - is acceptable.

NB I hate DIY; I guarantee if I worked on your office, you'd regret asking me to do so:D. And I'm not much better at cleaning either... ;)

19. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice Occasional commenter

Health and wellbeing are top priorities at my place, particularly so for our SMT members who work long hours in stressful roles.

As such, we do have a ‘relaxation area’ in school for our SMT members, which is equipped with a hot tub, steam room and sauna for them to relax and unwind during the day or after work.

Furthermore, as part of our commitment to supporting and enhancing all staff’s health, all teachers are eligible to receive a £5 monthly discount on memberships at our local ‘Xercise4Less’ gym.

20. Rott Weiler

I knew you shouldn't have given him ideas @vannie :p:p

steely1, Lalad, jellycowfish and 3 others like this.