1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

going on a bear hunt help with ideas

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by teach78165, Apr 9, 2012.

1. hi i have an interview soon and am thinking of doing a lesson based on 'going on a bear hunt' by Michael Rosen. The school has asked me to use a story as a basis for the lesson.
    it will be class based so i can't take the class outside.
    I want to use drama /roleplay and maybe some hot seating but am struggling with ideas.
    i need to show a strong learning objective, differentiation and plenary.
    Does anyone have any good ideas. thanks in advance.

2. i am thinking of giving the ch a sheet with pics of the settings on it
    they use adjectives to write what they see, hear and feel
    i haven't got much further than that atm

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As you haven't indicated the year you'll be working with, you've made it difficult for anyone to offer definitive advice on your idea; however, what I will say is that 'Bear Hunt' is one of the most popular stories used with early years children, it's very likely indeed that the class will already have done it and you'd be best advised to choose something the class are unlikely to have done.
    Having said that, what we always advise on here is that (a) you don't ask others for their ideas, but ensure you use your training/experience to indentify activities and methods you know have worked for you before, (b) that you write a draft of your plan and show it to a colleague or mentor in school and ask them to criticise it constructively for you.
    Yes - and the reason you need to come up with these is that the school is looking to appoint a teacher whose own work they are seeing at the interview.

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I agree with Middlemarch. 2 years ago I interviewed 6 candidates for a post. 4 of them gave an identical lesson which I'd seen on here. They didn't get through to the final interview.
    The two who did were so good they both ended up working in our school- they had original ideas.
    come up with your own lesson and run it past someone you trust. Good luck!