1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going into the staffroom....

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by lovejoy_antiques, Oct 10, 2019.

1. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

Does every staff room seem to have a bull sh*tter? Today I met a mid 50's pe teacher who claims to have had a city job where he was paid millions to drink champagne all day but gave it up to teach pe. In his next breath he told me he had also invented plastic!

CWadd, blazer, agathamorse and 3 others like this.
  2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

You know staff rooms that actually have staff in them? Proper teachers (if PE can be defined as proper) rather than supply teachers who aren't accepted in/can't find the departmental cliques?

blazer, agathamorse, tonymars and 2 others like this.
  3. lovejoy_antiques

This one had the feel of a doctor's waiting room. A scattering of magazines on formica coffee tables, a bookcase full of tatty paperback romance novels and a handful of people all with something clearly wrong with them. It was a barren wasteland of cracked mugs, stale biscuits and broken dreams.

agathamorse, JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Most staff rooms in schools are permanently empty.

I'm sitting in ours as I type this as my lab is being used by another teacher.

Other than me - there's nobody else here.

5. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

Apart from finding people in there I am surprised anybody spoke to you what with being a supply teacher.

The fun we used to have in the staff room when I first started teaching, the endless tricks we used to pull on each other and free lessons simply spent chatting to each other.

6. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Ah yes, at first when I was a permanent. Good memories. Then things changed.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

I must admit if I am in a school, I prefer to avoid the staffroom and sit in the classroom when possible, because some staffrooms when their are staff in are full of cliques.

bella2891, Educ84Math and agathamorse like this.
  8. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

I tend not to go into staff rooms. I bring a flask so don't need to make a hot drink and prefer to stay in the classroom and eat my lunch whilst marking - making for a quicker getaway at the end of the day!

bella2891 and agathamorse like this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

When I first started on supply I spent a lot of days at one particular school. Even though I took a flask and sandwich (as most supply teachers do) I used to have my lunch in the staffroom because it was convenient to Maths and Science where I spent most of my time.

It was always eerily quiet. The only other people I saw in there occasionally were other supply teachers.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  10. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

Agree with BertieB, I would mark, mark like mad during the lunch hour to make my after school getaway easier. If I am known to the school, I do make an effort to show my face in some staffrooms and chat a little to some I know. After years on supply I can happily spend 20 minutes being ignored, you get used to it, you do the work and go home.

11. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

I have to say it is often the TAs who invite me into the staff room - which is nice because they want to chat - but as @pwtin says, it’s ok to be ignored on supply!

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

When we still had staff rooms, which were buzzing with teachers unwinding, and full of billowing clouds of smoke, you always came across some vert odd characters, one of which was the bragging bullsh*tter. Some told plausible stories, which eventually became exposed as untrue, do inconsistencies, while others were complete fantasists. At one school, we had a husband and wife bullsh*tting double act.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Oh yes.

We had a bullshitter last term who claimed that she'd been homeless as a teenager, gone into care, but had wealthy family members who had got her a job in America working on the Democrats' election campaign. Oh, and she'd been to university in America and Japan. She also claimed that she'd been teaching for five years, but had never obtained her QTS, but that didn't matter as she was such an amazing teacher she would re-write all my SoW and she could teach A-Level and do a Hod's job when she came back from America after helping the Democrats win the election. And she'd achieved all this at the age of 26.

She isn't going to be coming back.

agathamorse and peakster like this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We had someone like that a couple of years ago - she was so BORING and would talk endlessly about herself and her kids and other relatives. Whatever you had done she had done twice on a pogo stick and she could empty a room in two minutes.

Thank god she left.

CWadd, agathamorse and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  15. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

I’m really pleased to say that our staff room is used by everyone at break and lunchtimes, even if only for the five minutes that most teachers have left of their lunch break. It’s a place to catch up, swap info on pupils, ask questions about others and just have a conversation, however brief, with another adult. It’s such a shame that our profession has us jumping through so many (often pointless) hoops that too many of us feel we have to deprive ourselves of this. I’m primary and work in a smallish school so maybe it’s different for bigger/secondary schools?

CWadd and agathamorse like this.
  16. lovejoy_antiques

Found a copy of the 2006 Guinness book of records in the staffroom on Friday. Some of the records are really scraping the barrel. I mean the world's longest extension lead! What's that all about???

agathamorse likes this.
  17. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@CWadd: Your description sounds like some of the autobiographical 'tutor profiles you see on websites like Tutor Hunt. Doctorates from Oxford, Cambridge, and Harvard, and the son or daughter of the thirteenth man on the Moon!

agathamorse and CWadd like this.
  18. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

To @Jolly_Roger15 - yep.

She really irritated me. The final straw came when she marked Y10 Mock Exams of a class that had been taught for two prior terms by an excellent teacher who had moved on for a promotion. This individual felt the need to tell the HoD that her results were so good, she should have his job.

Yeah, of course. *Sniffs*

agathamorse likes this.
  19. HS65

HS65 New commenter

Staff Rooms, if still around, aren’t what the6 used to be ...... generally quite dull places if there’s anyone there. I usually try to seek them out though. Tend to avoid subject and faculty offices which are even more dull, often full of people working through their breaks

20. Educ84Math

Educ84Math New commenter

Agreed. My experience has always been that the handful of people who go there during non-contact periods and sit on their personalised seats tend to talk about how little time they have to get things done. And anyone else who enters is viewed with enemy-level suspicion...

agathamorse likes this.