1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going in to teaching for the wrong reasons

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by Albawolf, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Albawolf

Albawolf New commenter

Hello Everyone

I am 22 years old and i have decided to go in to teaching as i dont know what i want to do for the rest of my life. I am no longer want to do deal with uncertanity of not knowing what i want to do with my life.

I hold a 2.1 in Law but dont want to be a solicitor. I have no idea what i want to do with my life.

I know i have messed up my entire life.
    I should he having it all together. In a relationship, middle of a career and be more independent.

Teaching is very secure and never have to worry about never having a job.

I would like to know what happens to people who go in to teaching but never wanted to be a teacher.

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Well it depends on the level of your dislike of teaching. I am very similar to your post, in that I drifted in at the age of 30 and I'm only just escaping now (hopefully).
    What! You're 22 and have 'messed up my entire life".
    There's plenty more entirety to your life to turn that around. It sounds like you've spent too long listening to aged relatives. Yes, job and partner are important but not until your 30s or later. I met Mrs C when I was 39 and she 37, I was out of teaching at that time and drifting along in McJobs (office temp/IT support)

Teaching is not secure at all. Plenty of posts on Workplace Dilemmas show how tenuous the job can be for experienced, good teachers who suffer a dip in performance.

Most importantly about teaching - it is a very demanding job and if you just turn up for the money and the social status (I know, I know) then you will very quickly be found out by (in no particular order)
    - Kids
    -Their parents
    - SLT
    -Other teachers
    -Pastoral staff
    -OFSTED
    -MockSTED
    -Your HoD
    All the decent members of the above list will support and assist you as far as possible but that assistance can only go so far and will soon dry up if you don't show signs of wanting to put the effort in.

In short the only people who survive in teaching for any length of time are those who genuinely like to be in front of a room full of kids. How people manage to turn up every day without that pleasure totally escapes me.

border_walker likes this.
  3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

teaching isn't secure at all

4. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

How can you be in the middle of a career at 22?

5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

You absolutely have not messed up your life! You are 22! I am nearly 60 and thinking about starting a new career, Speak to your university career service, see what they suggest.

border_walker and pipryan like this.
  6. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Possible Troll?

7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Possibly.
    But any half-decent troll would have mentioned the holidays’;)

OP
    Anyone who knows what they want to do for the rest of their life has a problem.
    At 22 You’ve got (probably) 60 years to change and change again. Nowadays, whatever you start now isn’t a forever decision.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

You're going to be working for around another 45 years. In that time you are likely to have a number of different 'careers'. Chances are that at least one of them will be a job that doesn't currently exist yet (a job as a drone pilot wasn't really a choice "6 years ago).

If you're thinking of teaching, spend some time in a school to see if it is something you want to do. Teaching is somewhat easier to do some shadowing than other careers. Then make .a decision whether you want to do teacher training.

Alternately have a look at some other careers. Drone pilot for example. Or utilise your degree in a different way - jobs in the National Crime Agency as an intelligence officer? Mediator? Stockbroker?

9. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

Teaching is a wonderful vocation, however, you need to be dedicated to be an effective teacher.

10. Albawolf

Albawolf New commenter

Sorry for the late response . My account was taking long to verify and the my comment was taking long to be moderated.

I went to a university ([This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]) in which lots people were doing teaching courses etc. I would ask why . Their answer would be it is secure or they were not sure what what they wanted to do. There also others who were genuinue.

I am serious
    A lot of people think it is secure. I always thought it is secure because demand for teacher is there and there the adverts on tv wanting you to join the profession

11. Albawolf

Albawolf New commenter

I am someone who always has a plan
    I like having things all figured out it makes me feel safe and in control.
    Now i dont for the first time in my life. I am losing my mind.
    I am just now an unemployed single loser. I am ashamed of my life

12. Albawolf

Albawolf New commenter

Why are my comments under moderation?

Did I do something wrong?

13. Albawolf

Albawolf New commenter

I was diagnosed with depression last year and is still untreated.
    I wanted to end my life after my university gradaution.
    My mental health is declining rapidly forgive the erratic nature of my posts

14. lizziescat

I will take your post as being genuine and will reply on that basis.
    So,
    You are certainly not personally, in ‘ the right place ‘ atm to be to be considering teaching. It is stressful, especially in the first few years and , as others have said, not secure.
    So you’ve spoken to people who are not teachers, have no experience of the job but they say it is secure. How would they know? The fact they’re training for a job they don’t really want to do tells you how little they know about the reality.
    With regards to govt adverts, err ...they are adverts....they are by an employer. Do you really think they’re going to say,
    this is a difficult stressful job, where you will work long hours for (sometimes) below minimum wage equivalent and probably have to forego a social life (evenings and weekends) And many people don’t last the training let alone more than a year or two.’

Read through some of these forums eg Workplace Dilemmas, New Teachers ( I’m not saying they are fully representative but they give you a flavour of what can and does happen)

As for a plan, I suggest perhaps doing voluntary work whilst looking for a job (a temporary one if necessary) whilst you take eg a year to sort yourself out and decide on the following year.

And if your last sentence is a true reflection of how you feel, I think you need to seek some professional help and support. Unfortunately, I am not qualified to say what or where this might be found.
    Others might.

edit: I’ve just read through my reply and realise it reads as quite brusque and harsh. I don’t mean it to be but I think you may have more to sort out than whether to train for a job you don’t really want to do.
    I hope you are able to find the support you need.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    MathMan1 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  15. lizziescat

All new posters are subject to moderation for a period of time (it’s not set how long) so you’ve done nothing wrong and yes it is a pain when you need answers such as here.

My post was posted before your later posts appeared

Your post #13 confirms what I have said in mine. To enter teaching nowadays relies on a strong emotional etc constitution.
    I have much sympathy for you and (I know its difficult ) but urge you to seek support for your illness first.

BTW . The Welcome Lounge is really for help with technical problems relating to the forums . You might find eg Health and Wellbeing forums better place to post
    But remember no one here is an expert or qualified to give advice - but there can be a lot of support.

https://community.tes.com/forums/health-and-wellbeing.20/

16. Albawolf

Albawolf New commenter

I would love to thank everyone for thier helpful responses.

17. Albawolf

Albawolf New commenter

I know people doing PGCSE after university.
    Forgive the erratic nature of my posts. My mental health has gotten worse since gradauting.
    The way things are i know i wont see 30.

18. Albawolf

Albawolf New commenter

I read a story about a young teacher on the daily mail. This young man left his job teaching in a primary after the first term.

He studied teacher training at university but he said the course did not prepare him for reality of teaching.

He is no longer a teacher but now works in greek holiday resort.

The story did make me question how many young new qualified teachers leave?

19. TES_carll

TES_carll Moderator Staff Member

@Albawolf : if you would like immediate help, your best option is to ring 999. If you want emotional support, please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free from any phone).

20. Albawolf

Albawolf New commenter

Hey I am back

I would love to thank everyone for their helpful replies

I realise now the pgcse would be a waste of time.

I don't regret going to university because I am academic person.

MathMan1 likes this.