1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going in Summer 2019

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by meister, Mar 10, 2019.

1. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I recently had my sixtieth birthday. I took ARB at 57. Looking back, and avoiding hyperbole, I would say that the last three years have been the best years of my life. 1977 -1978 would be the the only years when I felt so good.Marriage, children's births, all high points but don't match the general lack of stress and the infinite possibilities of retirement.

Shedman, Lara mfl 05, Jamvic and 4 others like this.
  2. eljefeb90

A lot depends on your commitments,mortgage/ children at university. If these are negligible or manageable, go for a change! Education is particularly toxic at the moment . There are a lot less stressful ways of supplementing your income should you need/ want to keep working.

Lara mfl 05, angel03 and PeterQuint like this.
  3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

To those of you counting down: get a wall planner or diary and actually tick off each day completed before you leave the building. I found this immensely satisfying as I could physically see my progress towards the end of the year.

bevdex, Lara mfl 05, angel03 and 2 others like this.
  4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I went back in last month to do four days cover for one of my former colleagues ( I retired last July).
    Whilst it was great to catch up with my old colleagues, and to see the pupils again, I can't tell you how exhausted I felt after day one! It made me realise that teachers never really wind down - ever - and that having really fully wound down since last July, having to crank myself back up into gear required phenomenal stamina.
    I'll certainly not do any further cover; it made me realise how stress free and relaxed my everyday life now is, and I really value that!

5. eljefeb90

@smoothnewt The only time I went back to my old school was to support the picket line. My former colleagues were striking against bullying management.

6. angel03

angel03 New commenter

7. angel03

angel03 New commenter

Toxic is the word. It makes me sad that we are in education, supposedly teaching the young how to be kind, sympathetic, be good people basically - but yet we are led by bullying narcissists who will stop at nothing to hurt, humiliate and manipulate for the 'sake of the children'. No! It's all about how good the data is looks, the pending Ofsted all...the fakeness of it all makes me sick. I work in an academy and now I know, I'll never do it again. My mental health has suffered and so have many close relationships. Maybe I just wasn't a good head? Maybe I just couldn't handle the pressure? Maybe I just didn't have the skills or capabilities? I feel guilty, anxious, sad, defeated and depressed all at the same time. I can't bear to think of doing another term. : ( Tell me I'm not the only one that feels like this right now..

8. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I know of a head who has resigned to rake up a classteacher position this term. So, no, you’re not the only one feeling this way. It’s very tough out there.

9. fariduddin

fariduddin New commenter

It is very tough at the HT level. Becomes hard to review options when you are in the thick of it. Health and wellbeing is very imporant so please take care.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. eljefeb90

You are definitely not alone. Headship has taken a toll on every head teacher I have known. It has destroyed either their mental or physical health or their moral compass , sometimes all three. I presume you have already handed in your resignation. You sound as if you need counselling or even medical advice. No job should grind you down like this. The end is in sight. Focus on getting over this trauma and planning for the rest of your life.

11. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher Occasional commenter

I retired 2 summers ago, and had the same concerns. They haven't materialised!

As part of my get fitter regime I've just become a paperboy. It gets me out of bed by 7am, gives me about a 4 mile walk (none of this cycling stuff for me!), and buys me the odd little treat. The shop I work for were desperate, all their kids had left (ironically to sit exams!), and they already know I am unlikely to do it over the winter, when, let's face it, it's cold and miserable and bed isn't!

12. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Good luck in what ever you end up doing. Having reached headship you have a multitude of skills that will transfer easily to anything you care to put your mind to. Every best wish for the future.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I really thought I'd miss work when I retired last year but there is so much fun stuff to do in retirement. I have taken up cycling, swimming and over 55s Badminton. I enjoy leisurely lunches out with the charming Mrs Shedman, we take out our little pre-school grandson, I have new hobbies and the garden has never looked better. I get out to choir rehearsals and performances and we have some lovely days out. We can go away for a few days during term time for really cheap rates.

Retirement is absolutely fabulous! It's just a pity I have to die at some stage but at least I'm getting to enjoy a retirement which some of our younger ex-colleagues may never be fortunate enough to experience.

14. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher Occasional commenter

Agreed.

I dont think I'd be able to find the time to work now!

Lara mfl 05 and jlishman2158 like this.
  15. wifeywoo1

wifeywoo1 New commenter

55 teaching days left - retiring after 33 years teaching full time and at 55 years old

16. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Good luck in your retirement. Keep fit and relish every day.

17. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Counting the days with you wifeywoo!

Lara mfl 05 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. KingShosters

KingShosters New commenter

Pressed the "submit" button last night. Roll on August 31st!

19. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Oh my goodness. Will there be anybody left?
    Isn't it high time our unions investigated the current age range and % ages of teachers in our education system? I wonder whether any data exists for 15/20 years ago? It would be fascinating and I suspect very telling to see how much the average age for teachers has plummeted. It would give unions evidence of the situation re older, more experienced staff being all too often bullied out of the profession. I read I think last week that there is going to be an investigation into bullying etc of staff in post 16 education establishments. Well that has fallen into the wrong category or at least it should be extended to include our schools. A comparison between state/LA schools and "Academies" would also be interesting.

20. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 New commenter

From a recent (Oct. 2018) NFER report:
    "The age profile of teachers in both primary and secondary schools has changed in important ways between 2010 and 2016. In particular, the proportion of full-time equivalent teachers older than 50 has decreased from 23 per cent in 2010 to 17 per cent in 2016, in both primary and secondary schools. At the same time, the proportion of primary teachers who are younger than 30 and secondary teachers in their 30s and early 40s have increased since 2010."
    So the average age is falling and teachers remain in the profession for a shorter time.