1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going in Summer 2019

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by meister, Mar 10, 2019.

1. meister

meister New commenter

Anyone else want to join a countdown thread for the end of this academic year?
    Leaving headship in July, aged 55. Come the autumn I am going to look for something new and different for a couple of years.
    16 weeks left!

2. Brianthedog

Brianthedog Occasional commenter

Technically I'm leaving at Easter but returning on reduced days until Christmas, when I will be done with school for good!
    I my head, I'm already retired

Lara mfl 05, smoothnewt and bevdex like this.
  3. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

I'm going in the summer too. 11 years teaching, some supply then 19 years as part time SENCO in a variety of schools. Looking forward to the next stage of life!

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm going in July too,at 57.

Lara mfl 05 and smoothnewt like this.
  5. Reverie1

Reverie1 New commenter

Me too in July at 56 and a half. Not just retiring but as a friend said, it's time to recalibrate life!

6. Braindead101

Braindead101 New commenter

I'm onto counting down the days - 18 to go...

7. Brianthedog

Brianthedog Occasional commenter

I'm a Senco too, who's sick of the never ending paperwork!

8. Oldbutnotreally

Oldbutnotreally New commenter

Last day August 31st - half of me is looking forward to it, the other half thinking what on earth am I going to do with myself?! I'm worried about living on half my salary but excited to be doing new things at the same time- I'm just such a mix of emotions. After 40 years teaching life is going to be very different!

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@Oldbutnotreally Do remember that you will no longer be paying your superann and there are no NI payments taken from your pension so you do get more of your income in your pocket. You can use your lump sum for paying off any mortgage you still have or can invest it to increase your income. Bearing those things in mind there is far more to look forward to than to worry about. Set a priority and think about how you can achieve what you want. I knew I wanted to improve my fitness and I do yoga twice a week, belong to a walking group, swim weekly too and walk everywhere I can. You might decide you want to find another job - I know people who do invigilating, have part time admin jobs, drive for a coach company, do pharmacy deliveries etc. You might want to get involved in your community - you can join the Lions Club, or you could do some academic study or learn a new language. Give yourself time to adjust but really, there is a lot to enjoy.

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

40 years and half your salary?

Most teachers have far less. As Lindenlea has said,no NI and no teaching pension contribution coming out anymore. Plus your lump sum and the state pension at 66 or 67.

11. Oldbutnotreally

Thank you Lindenlea for your reassuring comments. I'm looking round for some part time work as you suggest. I think the hardest thing is going from such a full on job - I'm a Headteacher - to having lots of time on my hands, so part time I feel will fill that gap. I'm determined to get fit as well, so lots of days at the gym ( I'm full of good intentions!) and doing up the house.
    In my head it's all very clear- I'm just not sure about the reality! I'll let you know after August!

Lara mfl 05, bevdex and lindenlea like this.
  12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

40 years. Half your HT's salary? You'll be just fine for money!

Lara mfl 05, yodaami2 and lindenlea like this.
  13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm very busy every morning and some afternoons and evenings. Busy, but only occasionally stressed. And I have a social life - remember that?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. Oldbutnotreally

Very small school, not a huge salary and several years part time!

Prim likes this.
  15. Oldbutnotreally

Social life- what's that?!

Lara mfl 05, bevdex and lindenlea like this.
  16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Well, it sounds like you're right to make your priority to get a PT job for a year or two while you settle into your new life and gain confidence that you can live comfortably on your pension. Are you a gardener - invest in a white van and a good mower and you're off!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. Oldbutnotreally

Thanks Lindenlea for all your advice. You've inspired me to get a grip and make some plans and stop worrying! Not sure about the white van and the mower but I'm sure I'll find something!

lindenlea likes this.
  18. angel03

angel03 New commenter

I've only had one year in Headship and I am done! In fact I'm done with education COMPLETELY and looking forward to finding something new, interesting and NOT incurring on my weekends.
    I'm looking forward to not having to think about data, progress, performance management, bullying management, parent evening, reports, constantly counting down until the next half term, school trips, moaning parents....this list could go on.

I'm REALLY REALLY scared but 'fortune favours the bold'. I've still got time to try something else and I'm ready to take the plunge. Count down is on for me and I've never felt so scared, excited and sad all at the same time. Barely sleeping currently...but just need to hang on for a few more months.

Good luck to everyone taking the plunge..

Lara mfl 05, Jamvic, Shedman and 6 others like this.
  19. meister

meister New commenter

13 weeks left - or put another way, 1 week and 1 term....

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. Reverie1

Reverie1 New commenter

Or approximately 110 days including holidays and weekends. Phew. And with it being the summer term it will fly by in no time!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.