1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going home in PPA time

Discussion in 'Personal' started by perdita, Nov 14, 2010.

1. A friend of mine is adamant that it is possible to go home during you PPA time, so that if your PPA time fell at the end of the day you could leave school an hour early.
    I'm convinced she's wrong. Surely it constitutes part of our directed time, and, as such, should be spent in school doing PPA type tasks
    Any thoughts?

2. A friend of mine is adamant that it is possible to go home during you PPA time, so that if your PPA time fell at the end of the day you could leave school an hour early.
    I'm convinced she's wrong. Surely it constitutes part of our directed time, and, as such, should be spent in school doing PPA type tasks
    Any thoughts?

3. It depends on your head. It is 'directed' time but not all directed time has to be spent on school grounds.
    I have PPA friday afternoons - head has said he doesnt mind us going home, or even if we use our PPA time for anything else, as long as the planning/assessment is done at some point and therefore up to scratch.

4. impis

impis New commenter

You can go home - if your HT gives you permission to do so. It is up to the HT's discretion.

5. The problem might be the 10 mins AFTER your PPA that is still directed time

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You can if you're in Scotland as "time and place of your choosing" is written into our conditions of service. You just inform your line manager...no permission needed.

7. We all have our PPA at the same time and there would be no room in the school for us, so we are all asked to go home! ( and it's Friday afternoon too!)

Bliss!

8. Thats another issue in our school - very little productive space to spend our PPA time. I just find I get distracted by other members of staff on their breaktime etc etc.
    Mind you, im not much more productive on a friday afternoon!

9. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Our head insists we spend our PPA at home as there isn't much productive space and he feels that we have less distractions at home. Like a previous poster said he is more than happy for us to do other tasks in our PPA time as long as all our paperwork etc is up to date - its all about trust and it works!

10. We have a whole day of PPA every fortnight.
    Sometimes I go into school, if there is something I desperately need to sort but, more often, I spend the whole day at home where there are fewer distractions. Our HT encourages us to make productive use of this time - wherever we choose to be.

11. In a small school you can probably work on trust, but in a larger one, this isn't practical. In PPA time I might need to talk to someone else about joint planning or something else. Although I except that PPA should be untouched, it isn't always practical and there should be some give and take.

12. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

We have a staff workroom but I encourage staff to go home. I know they get far more done. If staff choose to sit and watch jeremy Kyle, that's fine as long as the work gets done!

13. I suppose this is different in primary when PPA is in blocks but would it be fair in secondary, as some staff will have PPA at the end of the day and others won't?

14. I'm in a small primary, and we have to take our PPA at school. At least one member of staff has come into school just for PPA time before!

15. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Before I took over the school the staff had ppa in 1 hour blocks. It was neither use nor ornament. A whole day a fortnight or a half day a week works much better ( for the children too). If I got ppa ( which I don't as I teach out of choice not necessity) I would still work at school, my youngest is at home for half the school day, I'd get nothing done!

16. Wow, that's amazing. I can't see our head trusting us to that extent, which is why there is no good will left. That being said, the day long PPA once a fortnight wouldn't work for because of secondary timetable just isn't that flexible.

17. NIce to read that there are heads who are realistic and sensible and trust their staff. Can't say I'd complain if the head insisted I did the PPA time at school, afterall, if you are planning, preparing or marking, it's less to take home. Better work/life balance.

18. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Wonder if there's some way to sort a tax deductable expense there - if you work form home in DT, your leccy bills are partially tax refundable.

19. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

(The electricity you use for heating and computer, not that which you use to watch daytimeTV [​IMG] )

20. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I do remember a daft rumour circulating about allowing staff to work at home. Some health and safety bod suggested we do a risk assessment on everyone's home. All the heads I know chose to ignore this.