1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going grey

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cosmos, Jan 1, 2011.

1. I inadvertently caught sight of myself in the mirror earlier and realised I was much greyer than previously realised.
    However, after shock receded, I have decided to let it go grey now. No more colouring. I'm 58, it is in the natural order of things and I don't want to end up like those old ladies with jet black hair in their 80s.
    What are people's thoughts about greying?

2. I went pink 18 years ago. :¬((

BTW Mrs. B. is jealous as she has been doing a Phillip Schofield since she was 30.

3. I had my first few grey hairs before I left school. Unfortunately, I haven't yet got that beautiful white colour that my mum and granny and her sisters had.
    So I'm still colouring - but not black.

4. I wouldn't mind but can't stand the stripe effect as the colour grows out. OH calls it 'the badger effect'. Is there any way round this?

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I have been distinguished looking since I was 30. I like it.
    On women it can look aging but pretending to be a nipper is sadder,

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Get your roots done more regularly?

7. What i want to know is how do these blondes manage just to dye the roots of their hair black?

8. Distinguished - pink?
    Interesting imagey lurk <a target="_self" id="mce_editor_0_smiley" class="mceButtonNormal">[​IMG][/URL]

I sometimes think it is a shame that we feel the need to cling to an illusion of youth when old age is coming to us all.
    Next step - short poodle perm.

NOT!!!!!

9. Pink with distinguished highlights of sunburn (summer only).
    Lurk, I'm not sure of your gender but do you have the Dickie Davies or the Mallen streak or the Sybil Fawlty ?

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It's not dye, it's singed black from the effects of short circuiting in the brain [​IMG]

11. Ha, took me a minute or two to work out what you meant Bauble! But I'm
    confused, the pic of you in your avatar has a full head of hair! [​IMG]

12. It was taken under sympathetic lighting....with a soupcon of Mr. Adobe's photoshop.

13. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Actually bauble I look like your avatar but less pretty.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. I can understand that.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I had a pure white Mallen streak when I was 21/22 - I was quite happy with it for years (often got asked where I got it done), then when I started getting grey hair which wasn't nearly so attractive I started getting my hair coloured its "natural" brown.
    Then, a couple of years ago, I let the colour grow out completely. I spent a year with the mix of grey, white and brown that is pretty normal for my age (50). It aged me and made kind of "give up" on myself. I suspect now that a change in circumstances had made me a bit depressed and the hair sort of illustrated it.
    I've just spent a year blonde(ish - mixed shades, with high and low lights) courtesy of my daughter's hairdresser gbf. In the first week of the holidays he changed the colour so it's now a rather nice shade of mousey (it's not really mousey) brown. I love the change and those who've seen it say it takes years off me again.

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I looked in the mirror one day and saw this pale woman fading away. Decided to colour my hair and tried a few different colours but am now a middle aged blond. It gives me a feeling of energy. Without colour I'd be a dreary pepper and salt. I plan to keep it up for another 10 years or so.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

That's it, isn't it.
    I'd started to feel the same way about the blonde shade - I'd begun to look beige.

18. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I am (naturally) very blonde.I'm sure I have grey (well, white as grey hairs are) but it is hidden by my blonde locks and as I've aged I've just got blonder! Pretty handy!

19. Was born with auburn hair and over the years have gone to strawberry blonde. I would love to dye my hair back but so far no dyes have ever taken.
    :(

20. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

I always thought it must be easier to be blonde, the grey won't show as much. I'm 53 (just!) and have been grey with white steaks for years, well would be if I didn't dye it. I was a brunette/red head and have pretty much the same colour now. I don't want to do an Ann Widecombe and go blonde overnight but I am tempted!