1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going full time in the spring term, will I get paid for Easter hols?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by lou2005, Dec 10, 2011.

1. I am currently job sharing, working 3 days a week. My jobshare partner is retiring at Easter and I have agreed to work full time up to the end of the year. The head has told me that as it is a temporary arrangement ( I want to return to 3 days in September), I will in effect have two part time contracts (one for 3 days and one for 2). My question is who will be paid for the Easter hols? Will it be my colleague who is retiring, or me who is starting? As I've been typing this I've just thought of something else...I currently get paid an extra 10% for PPA but if I'm working full time I will want my afternoon out of class rather than the money. How will this work with 2 contracts?

2. I am currently job sharing, working 3 days a week. My jobshare partner is retiring at Easter and I have agreed to work full time up to the end of the year. The head has told me that as it is a temporary arrangement ( I want to return to 3 days in September), I will in effect have two part time contracts (one for 3 days and one for 2). My question is who will be paid for the Easter hols? Will it be my colleague who is retiring, or me who is starting? As I've been typing this I've just thought of something else...I currently get paid an extra 10% for PPA but if I'm working full time I will want my afternoon out of class rather than the money. How will this work with 2 contracts?

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I would look at the dates on the contract. It seems likely that your colleague will be retiring effectively at the end of the Easter break, and your second contract would start then. This seems fair if you are paid for the summer break, but not if you are not. However, why not ask the school?
    As far as PPA time is concerned, I think you should be treated as a full time employee, with the 2 contracts making no difference.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The retiring teacher will almost certainly be having an official leaving date as the end of the Spring Break holiday. You will get paid your current contract rate for that holiday; you'd only get f/t pay over the holiday if you started working f/t before the holiday.
    You can't be paid more than the maximum salary for a full-timer on your pay point, so you will get 0.6 pay for your current 3 days and 0.4 for the extra 2 days. If they want you to keep the current timetable for your 3 days, they'll have to give you all your PPA for a f/t post on the other 2 days.
    You should check what date is put as the end of the 0.4 temporary contract. I'd insist on it being 31st August to get f/t pay over the summer after working f/t all term. If the teacher were not retiring, they'd be paying over the summer after all.
    Anyone on a fixed term contract who is not down to get the holiday pay after their last term, should consider asking to be paid on the full supply daily rate for the temporary period in order to accrue up-front, pro-rata holiday pay. Supply rate in the summer term would generate the equivalent of 3.5 to 4 weeks of holiday pay, so not too far short of the 6 weeks. The downside is that there's no sick pay entitlement when not on a contract rate.
    Supply pay in the Autumn term generates more holiday pay than the Xmas break paid on contract. That's because it's such a long term.