1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going From Year 4 to Year R

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by chessmaster, Oct 26, 2018.

1. chessmaster

chessmaster New commenter

Hi All,
    I have been asked if I might move from Year 4 to Year R. I trained in Early Years but only spent 1 academic year there before I was asked to teach Year 4. I have been in Year 4 now for 5 years and am comfortable there. However, I enjoyed the different assessment structure and teaching techniques in Year R when I was there, so I am tempted to go back. The reason for hesitating and asking advice is that I am conditioned now to a heavy marking workload, book scrutiny where the goalposts move regularly, and planning on top of planning as the drive to constantly improve no matter how good we are seems to be an SLT norm! Has anyone ever gone from 4 to R and adapted accordingly? What is the work-life balance like? (Not that I have much of one in 4 as it is!) I have an academic interest in learning through play as an area of professional development. Has anyone ever been able to pursue action research as well as do the job, and manage not to fall asleep by 8.30pm through exhaustion?! Should I stay put? Any ideas or opinions gratefully received! If I had to choose, I would say I loved YrR when I was there because of its highly creative and very unique teaching and assessment requirements, but having become a hard-nosed KS2 disciplinarian, with work-output expectations and snap-to-it routine expectations, I fear I might be unable to go back to the more fluid style, even if I want to!