1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going from satisfactory to good

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by sciencequeen00, Jan 2, 2011.

1. sciencequeen00

sciencequeen00 New commenter

I need some advice on how to do this

I always try to get good by using lots of AFL, new ideas, whiteboard, diffentiation, keywords.....

Im keen to progress and get goods in observations, any advice please throw it my way?

2. Get yourself a copy of the ofsted grid. That will help you see what the difference between satisfactory and good is. You should have been shown the grid when you have been getting feedback and using it to set yourself targets.

3. In my experience the biggest factor keeping teaching below good is "progress". Ensure that all students can make progress that lesson. I find this easiest to do by breaking the class in to groups and then actually put students' names and faces to these groups. So, I plan a lesson on a learning objective and then I think "what will Ellie be doing though" (Ellie being a really able student) and "how am I going to keep Dan on task?", if there's an activity that requires reading, "how will I ensure Max can access this information?"... etc. Another element is thinking what you will do during an activity to have a real impact on student learning/progress.