1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going from M6 to UPS1

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by not-quite-a-teacher, Oct 16, 2015.

1. not-quite-a-teacher

not-quite-a-teacher New commenter

Hi

I'm in the process of applying for UPS1. I have been told to fill out a form and submit it to management, but I haven't got a clue what I'm doing, what they what or how the hell I'm going to answer P1?! Any ideas?

Is bullet pointing each point like so acceptable?

PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING: Teaching and learning

P2 Have an extensive knowledge and understanding of how to use and adapt a range of teaching, learning and behaviour management strategies, including how to personalise learning to provide opportunities for all learners to achieve their potential.

Evidence:

· I have critical understanding of how children learn and how best to enable them to progress and reach their full potential.

· Personalised learning including individual timetables and lesson plans for children with particular learning needs including autism.

· Feedback from performance management observations stating positive, effective relationships with children and a good understanding of individual needs.

Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Since every school is different, because each one has its own Pay Policy, I suggest that you talk to someone who has successfully jumped the same hurdle in your school, as their advice will be more relevant to you, @not-quite-a-teacher .

Best wishes

shah41 likes this.
  3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

It seems your school is asking you to complete an 'old' threshold application form… I think I'd start with asking them why, since 'threshold' progression was abandoned two years ago now.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Each school in its own pay policy must say how it will assess UPS applications but if you are on STPCD the school cannot assess you against the old Post Threshold Standard that you quote. Those standards were abolished from (I think) September 2013. The school must assess you against the Teachers Standards. Current STPCD says:

15.2. An application from a qualified teacher will be successful where the relevant body
    is satisfied:

a) that the teacher is highly competent in all elements of the relevant
    standards; and
    b) that the teacher’s achievements and contribution to an educational setting
    or settings are substantial and sustained.

15.3. The pay policy shall set out the process for assessing applications and make clear
    how the relevant body will interpret the criteria in paragraph 15.2.

5. not-quite-a-teacher

Thanks for your replies. I'm aware that its all changed since 2013, but I was told last week to fill out the form and to have evidence for each standard! Was also given a deadline of next Friday before half term, but I'm sure I've read by rights teachers have until 31st October to apply!?

6. not-quite-a-teacher

Also, as it states in the standards that teachers should have had two previous successful appraisals-which I have, surely that says enough in itself as well as having to fill out an application form and provide evidence isn't it?!

7. sylvester7

sylvester7 New commenter

Hi not-quite-a-teacher, I'm also in the process of applying for UPS. Have you got any advice on the application? My head wasn't very clear on how or what I needed to evidence. Are copies of last 2 years appraisals and an opening letter enough? Hope your application was successful!

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I assume that you are talking about moving on to the Upper Pay Scale; M6 and UPS1 have no meaning nationally now as is clear from STPCD. The only advice anybody can give is to look at your school's pay policy. What happens at one school is likely not to happen at another. TheoGriff's advice is excellent. Successful PM reviews may not show that " the teacher’s achievements and contribution to an educational setting or settings are substantial and sustained." as Rott Weiler quotes above. The school must use the reports “and determine whether – taken as a whole – the evidence demonstrates that the teacher meets the criteria – i.e. that the teacher is highly competent in all elements of the relevant standards and that their achievements and contribution to an educational setting or settings are substantial and sustained.” This is likely to be more than the teacher simply meeting targets.