1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going from full time to part time

Discussion in 'Primary' started by samanthahunt75, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    so here is the situation. Ive moved back down south after teaching in London for 3 years to be closer to family and friends. I started at new school full time in September and like it there. The thing is I would now like to go part time, down to 5 mornings or 3 full full days a week. Firstly, i'm not sure how to approach my head about this as ive only been in the job 3 months. My contract is permanent not fixed term so thats good. My reasons are due to work life balance and basically wanting a better quality of life. I also want to look at doing some training in beauty thearpy as this really interests me. However, i dont want my boss to think im just wanting an easy ride or am just using teaching whilst i set up another carrer. I dont want her to think i have no interest ina career at the school. Im sure she will ask me my reasons when i speak to her and im not sure what to say or how to phrase it.
    The other thing im not sure on is how to work out how much pay i would get for 3 days/5 mornings. I know its the percentage of hours you work out of a full time salary but would this just be the 6 hours of the school day? would it include an hour staff meeting or hours after school aswell? im really stuck on this and obviously i need to be sure about what i want to ask for before speaking to my head.

Any help or advice anyone can offer would be reall great as i dont know where to start with all of this.

Many thanks :)

2. Hi all,
    so here is the situation. Ive moved back down south after teaching in London for 3 years to be closer to family and friends. I started at new school full time in September and like it there. The thing is I would now like to go part time, down to 5 mornings or 3 full full days a week. Firstly, i'm not sure how to approach my head about this as ive only been in the job 3 months. My contract is permanent not fixed term so thats good. My reasons are due to work life balance and basically wanting a better quality of life. I also want to look at doing some training in beauty thearpy as this really interests me. However, i dont want my boss to think im just wanting an easy ride or am just using teaching whilst i set up another carrer. I dont want her to think i have no interest ina career at the school. Im sure she will ask me my reasons when i speak to her and im not sure what to say or how to phrase it.
    The other thing im not sure on is how to work out how much pay i would get for 3 days/5 mornings. I know its the percentage of hours you work out of a full time salary but would this just be the 6 hours of the school day? would it include an hour staff meeting or hours after school aswell? im really stuck on this and obviously i need to be sure about what i want to ask for before speaking to my head.

Any help or advice anyone can offer would be reall great as i dont know where to start with all of this.

Many thanks :)

3. It's 3/5 of your salary if you do 3 days but if you do part days, then they're not equally weighted. When I did supply, a morning was 60% of the day and an afternoon 40%. As for SDD and staff meetings, you would be expected to do 3/5 of them.

4. Joi

Joi New commenter

No. You do not have to attend staff meetings or insets on days that you don't normally work. It is not pro rata. There are loads of threads about this on the Pay and Conditions forum.

5. Thank you ill look there. Any advice on approach the head and giving reasons?

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you could stay full time until July then it would be much easier for your HT to change your contract to PT. They will be moving staff around then anyway and so can possibly accommodate you.

7. Sorry, not staff meetings but I was told I had to attend 3/5 SDDs by my head and to negotiate payment for those that fell on days I don't work.