1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going for promotion?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jdl11, Mar 15, 2016.

1. jdl11

jdl11 New commenter

Hi folks, would love your thoughts on this.... I am a forth year teacher at the moment, love my job. Really awesome. A second in department role has become available in my dept. the school has advertised it nationally, they did not tell me that this was going to happen. The role as you would expect is kind of the department grunt work but also running a second course the department offers.... In all honesty at the moment I'm not that fussed, im 26, graded good or outstanding consistently and my results are good, I work bloody hard to. Now i have been told by senior leadership that it I do not go for it they would write a negative comment about 'not taking opportunities' on any future references for other jobs outside of the school.... Thoughts?

2. TrueFaith

TrueFaith New commenter

I think if you feel like you would be able to manage both your existing workload and the additional responsibility without letting things slip and would like the challenge, go for it.

That said, if the job has been advertised nationally, don't expect the process to be a 'shoo-in', and prepare in exactly the same way you would for any application/interview...

[edited for clarity]

wanet likes this.
  3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

What a supportive SLT you have - encouraging you in such a positive way! ;)

Lots of factors to consider pros and cons. What's your gut instinct?

jdl11 likes this.
  4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Just curious - have many people applied.

5. jdl11

jdl11 New commenter

Hi guys - No idea on number of applicants, my initial thought is they are bricking it and trying to get me in the mix because not many people are going for it.

Ideally my gut instinct is not to take it... the course I will be running is not my subject, it is a BTEC which I do not really have any interest in. It is for the low ability kids in the school, I wouldn't mind teaching it but it would be a beast of paperwork and stress to get the kids any sort of qualification (these are the students who's literacy is so low they struggle to read and write)

What I do not want to happen is look like dead weight, I do think I have some value...... my GCSE results last year were praised and I do a lot to help the kids.

I would love 1/2 more years of being a classroom teacher solely, probably the only chance I will get in my life to be able to do this, I love the challenge, kids are wicked, still got lots to learn......

You all know the workload of teaching is nut... I know I am preaching to the choir.... responsibilities now just seem like something I can cope without having for a bit....

6. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Then tell your SLT that! Utterly sensible reasons. :)

7. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Thats why I asked

8. wingcommander81

wingcommander81 New commenter

Surely it's your discretion that makes you decide if this is an opportunity suitable for you or not! Also, a helpful member of SLT would've given you a nudge or a 'heads up' that this position was becoming available if they thought you were ideal(!) Personally, I'd call their bluff if you don't want to apply because there's no way writing that on a reference wouldn't cause them massive grief.

Ultimately it's your call, but alarm bells would be ringing if it was me, even more so if SLT have said that to you.This has 'stitch up' written all over it if things start going a bit curly, especially seen as though it's not your subject and as you've said, you're not interested anyway. Anything could happen; unexpected dip in results, flog your guts out promoting the subject and still get a poor uptake...? You're then in the crosshairs.

cazzmusic1 and wanet like this.
  9. jamtart20

jamtart20 New commenter

In total agreement.

There's nothing wrong with not seeking promotion. Not everyone wants to, or even can, have additional responsibilities and it's not a sign of failure or a lack of commitment if you don't (want to) become HoD/HoY or whatever.

cazzmusic1 and phlogiston like this.
  10. jdl11

jdl11 New commenter

I know!

I think the attitude here is that if are not moving up very quickly you are not valuable....

That is fine by me I guess, in a couple years when I do want to progress I can just move to on to a new school.

It just puts me in a tricky spot because now turning this down makes me look weak in their ideas and I feel guilty... I do right by the kids.. One day I want to be a HOD, just not yet.....

I guess I can just lay it on the line..... They cannot fire me after all, I am not doing anything wrong.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I agree with the advice above. Talk about consolidating your current role before branching out, say what you said in Post #5, (but watch your own literacy too - autocorrect can be a real pain, can't it?)

Best wishes

cazzmusic1 and phlogiston like this.
  12. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It's good that they want to develop your role. In the schools I've worked in, they've usually expected people to notice when colleagues leave and vacancies come up, or they do it the normal way with a notice on the staff-room wall (assuming you still have such a place).
    I agree with the other posters that you need to take responsibility for your career development - I also think that sometimes you have to take the chances you get offered.
    If you go for it, do it wholeheartedly on the assumption that you are competing against a hot-shot from somewhere else.
    If you don't go for it, have an alternative career strategy mapped out, but remember some posters here have found that observations can sometimes be quite subjective and subject to bias.
    Four years is time to move on before you stagnate.

13. jdl11

jdl11 New commenter

but what is wrong with holding on to being a teacher a little bit longer? As soon as I start progressing teaching becomes less and less and paperwork/admin becomes more and more.......

14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Unbelievable

I'd find a new school

lanokia likes this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Agreeing with Scint above... that comment alone sets off so many alarm bells.

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  16. Scintillant

Surely they can't do things like that?

It's coercion, and just plain wrong. You can't threaten people with references like that. Anyone doing that ought to end up in hot water.

Still, what can you do these days?

17. Scintillant

Usually. In over 50% of cases.

And very frequently at the outstanding and RI ends of the scale. With the standard of training observers get here, you won't get any better than that and would very likely get worse..

18. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

The threat about a bad reference if you DONT apply is a bit off, other than that, if you feel you can handle the workload...........

19. josienig

josienig Lead commenter

Is it really stagnating if you are happy to stay in a role as a classroom teacher, in the same school, fulfilling the responsibilities that go with that, undertaking cpd regularly, doing some voluntary extra-curricular and living your life?
    Each time I've moved has been for personal reasons, I would have quite happily stayed in 3 of the 4 schools I've taught in long-term. Hopefully I'll be in my present school until retirement :)