1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going for an interview - Another rejection waiting to happen...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by sebedina, Dec 14, 2015.

1. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

I am going for an interview/teaching a lesson on Wednesday. (I am in my late 40s).

I seem to be mostly rejected these days in these interviews, so most likely this will be another one like that.

However, I will still need to give it a shot. I know I need to be "enthusiastic" but honestly I have lost the plot with what schools are looking for. I am not a robot drone. I am in my 40s, and have got very good subject knowledge and classroom experience. I had the work differentiated, had my PP, had created handouts and had timed the activities.

However, somehow something goes awry. The last interview comment was that they liked my resources they felt that there wasn't enough challenge....I just don't know how i should behave. talk faster?? faster pace?? smile more?? have a better body language?/// its all become more and more mysterious!

Any tips?

2. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

I'm translating this "needs more challenge" comment to mean that the kids need to be getting things wrong...

I don't necessarily agree but that's just my understanding of the term.

All the best.

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Sebedina

Don't be so hard on yourself. You have done well to get an interview at all.

I know this sounds so simplistic, but I would ensure that my hair was nicely styled, I had a smart suit to wear (not necessarily expensive), shoes shined, and makeup done.

Act confidently even though you may not feel like it.Smile and although you are not a drone, don't be negative, but appear pleasant and positive.

You are in a strong position that you have good subject knowledge and classroom experience., so be yourself and think of all the positive things you can bring to the table.

Merry Christmas and wishing you all the best for Wednesday.

4. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

I know how you feel, I attended an interview for a temporary short-term post today after the agency submitted my CV and I was asked to teach a subject out of my comfort zone in front of the deputy head, rather then my own subject because it was for a role that included teaching two subjects. I presume that it sees what you are like outside your won subject, I felt the lesson went well, but there seems something not right about the school. It is officially an outstanding school, but it may be me, but when you feel a sense of unease inside yourself.

Again, I have so many rejections and knock backs in recent months, and I am also a mature teacher and the unease may be the sense of underestimating myself because like sebedina I tend to make some sort of error or it is not hard challenging enough for the students or put my size elevens in it. I may have got the post,I don't know but it is when you see happy cheerful and perky new teachers and compare it to the hard bitten cynical teachers like myself

But good luck Sebedina, you are a better teacher then you think.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm in my early 50s and got a job last year so don't despair !

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Mind you I've got a mental age of about 7, which probably helped.

7. splinters

splinters Established commenter

I believe that comfidence, or lack of it, is projected through body language and you have clearly already written yourself off before the interview. You clearly have something on paper to get the interview so maybe your negativity comes through in person? Its hardly an earth shattering observation on my part but perhaps a little more Tigger and less Eeyore might help.

8. splinters

splinters Established commenter

Can I retract that last bit of advice and change it to...I know exactly how you feel!