1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going down to 2 days

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by sciencequeen00, Jan 31, 2017.

1. sciencequeen00

sciencequeen00 New commenter

I used to work full time and I am
    due to return after maternity in June but want to reduce my hours. I have 3 children and want to reduce my hours to part time 2 days. Has anyone else had experience of doing this, how did it go and how did you go about requesting a reduction in days? Were the school ok with it etc?

I would eventually; after a few years like to increase myself gradually back to full time but while my children are young I feel that part time works best for our family!

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Primary or secondary? And what subject if the latter? (The link above is relevant either way, but how it works can be rather different.)

4. Starsarah

Starsarah New commenter

Be prepared for them to say no! I wanted 2.5 days and they begrudgingly gave me 4! My daughters 2 and I'm working my way back to full time! I love working but was devastated at having to do 4 days!

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

https://www.tes.com/news/blog/guide-going-part-time

Bear in mind that if the school agrees to reduce to 2 days a week it's a permanent change in your contract of employment and you have no automatic right to increase it back to full time in the future.

6. Starsarah

Starsarah New commenter

Mine was only changed for a year and would revert back to full time the next academic year depending on the schools need!

7. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Then you should have consulted your union...