1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going... But when?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Katie777, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Katie777

Katie777 New commenter

Four years ago I left full time teaching to help my mum with her business (and life) following my dad's death. I was at breaking point in the job and was needed elsewhere so I left, simple :)

Two years later we had all got back on our feet and I had rebuilt my confidence in a nice low-stress, part time office job. In felt ready to challenge myself again, in looked for other career options but there was not much about especially as I wanted to remain part time. So I decided to brave teaching again and see if teaching part time could make a rewarding but manageable career.

The stress of the job hit me from the off, I had forgotten just how hard it is! Soon after starting back I was diagnosed with MS and was very ill for a time. I am mostly well in myself now and take very careful care of myself. However, I have a tough class this year and lots of pressure. I cannot keep on top of the stress and I know it will impact on my health (and already is). Stress in so bad for MS and ms brings so much of it's own stress anyway... I am on a temp contract with my school so no job security either.

I need to go, this time for real :) build myself a different life where I can work quietly behind a desk. That is sad but irrefutable I think. For my health that's what I must do. However, I don't know when. It is a very long slog until summer (primary) and i worry about the toll of that. However, I do need an income and may not/ probably won't secure another job before the February resignation date so then I have a new stress! Also I worry about burning bridges. Any advice on how I should play this? Maybe I just want people to tell me it's ok to leave at Easter! I would really appreciate all opinions though :)

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with MS, @Katie777. It does mean that you are classified as disabled under Equality Act 2010 and as such your employer has a duty to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to work. It doesn't matter that you are working on a temporary contract - there is still a duty.

It may be that more rest periods can be built into your day, for example.

If the temporary contract is not renewed but the role continues and they appoint someone else to it, there is also a potential complaint of discrimination, if it seems the reason they did not renew the contract was the disability.

Make an application for Personal Independence Payment. This is a benefit for people with disabilities and you can claim it even if you are in work. It is not income dependent.

notsonorthernlass and Yoda- like this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am very sorry to hear both of your poor health and of the stresses that your job is producing. Please do look carefully at @GLsghost 's suggestions.

As for Easter or summer - I do not believe that it would impact as much on the pupils as you believe; they are generally pretty resilient. Think rather which would be better for you and your health.

You might not get, you may well not get, a new job for 1st May by 29 February. Two months away is quite a long time for jobs outside teaching. But I am sure that even if you couldn't get a new career, you could get a new job, something less important, but enough to give you an interest, some money even if not much, and a real breathing space without stress.

But you have to choose.

Whenever you have a hard choice, here's a way to help decide.

Toss a coin.

And then when you see whether it's Heads or Tails, grab your first instinctive reaction. Were you pleased or disappointed at how the coin came down? That can often help you see your real feelings about a decision.

And read this, part of it is relevant to you.

Easter or summer to leave and career change?

Best wishes

notsonorthernlass and JRiley1 like this.
  4. Katie777

Katie777 New commenter

Thanks for your replies. I have looked into my rights re. reasonable adjustments etc. but the stress is the deal breaker for me and I can't expect them to solve that one, certainly not fully. I ultimately would prefer to leave teaching than have allowances made that burden others. I suspect there is some acceptance needed here though- I may need to lean on others at times. However, it is more easily achieved outside education, we are all too stretched.

I tossed a coin, heads I go, I think that's a decision made...

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter

All the best Katie! Making the decision was the hardest part.

You can look forward now to a new start. I left at Easter when I really couldn't cope with the demands of the job. Mine was a (one year) temporary contract too. The children survived and, more importantly, so did I! :)

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree with marlin and others that children are remarkably resilient. Do whatever's best ofr YOU and rest assured children will move on- may take a while for some but move on they will.

notsonorthernlass likes this.