1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going back to work after maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Itsme22, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Itsme22

Itsme22 New commenter

I am due to go on maternity leave soon and we have a new head starting in September. I know if it was our current head I'd be allowed back whenever I wanted and the days I wanted but I know a new head could be different. When I go back, what am I entitled to? I work 4 days currently and I want to go back 4 days - am i entitled to this or can they change it? Also, can I choose when I go back? Any advice would be great. Thank you.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If your current contract is 4 days a week, then you can nominate the date on which you wish to return and that's that - they cannot refuse. (You do need to give the right amount of notice for your return.) That's a statutory entitlement - not just teachers. You're not guaranteed returning to the same year group (just as nobody is guaranteed that year to year).

Obviously the new head will appreciate knowing roughly when you think you will return - they may plan slightly differently if they're expecting you back after Christmas than if they expect you back next July - but you can change your mind if you give the requisite notice.

Don't panic if they appoint someone doing a different proportion of the week in your place - that's their problem. If you're not planning on returning until next summer, they may just cross that bridge when they get to it - it's so far away they might have someone else going on maternity leave by then.