1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going back to work after a year off is exhausting!!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by catzroolz, Jan 19, 2011.

1. I returned to work on 4th January on a 0.8 contract and I'm absolutely shattered! I'm working 5 days and have loads of trapped time so its quite good for planning but annoying when I'm only getting paid for the equivalent of a 4 day week!
    I honestly don't know how full timers with young children do it, you have my full admiration! If I worked full time I think I may have collapsed with exhaustion by now! My daughter is awake now and when she goes to sleep I won't be planning for tomorrow I'll be sleeping too! This is despite having Ofsted tomorrow!
    Not looking for any advice really just venting!

2. I returned to work on 4th January on a 0.8 contract and I'm absolutely shattered! I'm working 5 days and have loads of trapped time so its quite good for planning but annoying when I'm only getting paid for the equivalent of a 4 day week!
    I honestly don't know how full timers with young children do it, you have my full admiration! If I worked full time I think I may have collapsed with exhaustion by now! My daughter is awake now and when she goes to sleep I won't be planning for tomorrow I'll be sleeping too! This is despite having Ofsted tomorrow!
    Not looking for any advice really just venting!

3. catz- that "trapped day" sounds horrendous! Could you have insisted that your 4 days be over, um, 4 days?! I work 4 days and as it is am considering going back full time as I feel I do a full time job but without the fifth of the pay. How is your set up any better than full time?

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

That trapped time sounds rubbish. Do you still have a tutor group every day? Surely they could've worked it out so you had one full day off, or you don't really get the benefits of part time!
    I work 0.5, over 3 days one week and 2 the other. It is still hard work though, more because when I am in i don't get chance to breathe as I rarely have frees. Plus i'm not important enough to get my own room (although the 2 part timers who do 0.6 have their own rooms), so i am forever dragging my stuff from class to class, and my laptop battery dies as soon as it is unplugged, so I am always disorganised. Oh, and i've been given pretty much all bottom sets, which is really depressing.
    That aside, I am very glad of my time off! (i need it after the days at work I have!!)

5. The change to 0.8 was a last minute decision, I had initially requested 0.6 but it was declined a few months ago and I was given a full timetable. During one of my KIT days before Christmas I had a mini breakdown due to the thought of the workload so they offered a compromise which was the removal of one group from the timetable, which works out at 5 days which a few early finishes and one afternoon off a fortnight!
    I don't need to bring any work home though because I manage to get everything done in my trapped time so I guess that's a small benefit! I don't have a tutor group.
    I have a couple of interviews lined up anyway!

6. hi there,
    I work full time and have 3 children under 5. I'm just back following maternity leave with my daughter. Yes its exhausting. Its amazing how your priorities change and now I do a "just good enough job". On the other side of that, I used to worry a lot about my own kids about a lot of various silly things, and now after baby no 3 I just don't have the time to anymore so I dont!! Although I am permanently frazzled I think I am a more relaxed parents which is good!

7. Hi all,
    I work full time with 3 kids and run on empty all the time!!!! I am on the leadership team, doing an MA and ICT lead, but some how it all seems to happen. I have a very supportive hubbie who works from home so is a HUGE help keeping things going. I was up all night with my 10 month old last night (teething, cold etc etc) so im hoping to head straight to bed after work but this is highly unlikely lol.
    If the stress gets too much remember you do have options, you could reduce hours and do supply if you are short one month for example.
    How was your ofsted inspection???[​IMG]

8. Hi Ladies,
    I am currently trying to write my request for part time letter and really struggling with it. Ideally I want to work 0.6, 0.8 at a push. Does anyone have a letter that I could have a look at please - It would be a lifesaver.

Thanks in advance.
    WolvesLass

9. zeps

zeps New commenter

It isn't easy, is it?
    I'm on 0.6 since 2nd maternity leave. Sadly, I think financially I am being forced to look for 0.8 or full time. I don't know how I'll physically cope - I feel stretched completely with work and childcare although having 2 days at home with daughter is a bonus.

10. Hiya, look at these links for advice - there are template letters available:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Flexibleworking/DG_10037051
    http://www.atl.org.uk/help-and-advice/flexible-working/right-to-flexible-hours.asp
    although I wish I'd approached my HT informally before sending the letter. Is your HT approachable?

11. Hi, sorry for slow reply! it was a monitoring visit from ofsted because we had an inadequate last year. the judgement was reasonable progress but I didn't even get seen or spoke to by ofsted! Relieved but annoyed that I felt I'd worked so hard getting plans and resources ready!
    How's your little one? My little girl is teething too, awake all Thursday night!