1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

going back to school

Discussion in 'Personal' started by timbuckley36, Sep 4, 2011.

1. i have read a lot of the posts about going back and i am amazed!! it's JUST a job. maybe i'm really lucky about the school i am working in, but i think it's a lot to do with my outlook.
    i had a VERY difficult year last year due to staff issues, challenging behaviour (staff and parents) and the dreaded 'O' word!!
    HOWEVER, i saw all of it a positive thing. i feel if i can turn things round into a positive, then things seem managable. however bad the porblems were last year, i took something good out of it.
    i'm also sure that if i hate ANY job as much as some people - i'd get out and do something else!

2. i have read a lot of the posts about going back and i am amazed!! it's JUST a job. maybe i'm really lucky about the school i am working in, but i think it's a lot to do with my outlook.
    i had a VERY difficult year last year due to staff issues, challenging behaviour (staff and parents) and the dreaded 'O' word!!
    HOWEVER, i saw all of it a positive thing. i feel if i can turn things round into a positive, then things seem managable. however bad the porblems were last year, i took something good out of it.
    i'm also sure that if i hate ANY job as much as some people - i'd get out and do something else!

3. Well bully for you. Nice lurking by the way.

4. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

I went back last Tuesday so am no longer feeling nervous about going back. However, every time I have a long period of time off I lose some of my confidence by wondering how on earth I keep up the stamina to deal with all the stuff I have to deal with.
    I was off for 3 months last year because I had a major operation and it took me ages to recover as I was In a lot of pain and very exhausted all the time and really ended up in the mindset that I could no longer hack it.
    I went back on a phased return that really helped and now I have been back 4 days I am well and truly back in the swing of it as I went back to 2 major problems I had to sort out which where exhausting in terms of workload and mental energy but at least it proved to me that I can cope.
    I really feel for all the people who are feeling nervous. What I always try to do is remind myself that after half an hour it feels like you never had a holiday and it always works like that.
    Maybe try to remind yourself for any positives i.e. what it would be like if the job was low paid,had few holidays, what you like about doing it and which people there you like as colleagues. I suppose if the answer to all of those is none - them maybe it is time to look for something else.

5. moonpenny

of

6. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

Good to hear that you are feeling better moony [​IMG]. I too have already returned. I do worry about having the stamina for the job, as i get older. Goodness knows what age i will be when i retire. Teaching over the age of 60 sounds very depressing indeed.

7. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

Ah yes, and OP: what PFF said

8. moonpenny

Thanks Wordy - I thought you had spotted my typos for a minute then[​IMG]
    I forgot to add, I was a drained husk of a person barely able to lift my arm up to put the chocolate in my mouth by Friday...all thoughts of the gym going further and further into the distance.
    Apart from that, I did get paid last week.:)

9. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

Tim, you're lucky if you can make positives out of the things some people have gone through in the last year. I work in a department of three people, one of whom refuses point blank to talk to me, and who undermines me at every opportunity, including coming into my classroom and disciplining my students. SLT are unable to do anything as he's clever enough to make it a case of my word against his. I don't teach a subject in which there is a shortage of teachers, and my confidence has been totally shot to pieces by the actions of some colleagues. I've reached a point where I don't think anyone would employ me, as these people have made me feel like I'm sh1t at my job. But there are people out there with FAR worse going on. Once you've lost your confidence, it's not <u>just</u> a job, it takes over your whole life.

10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

You mean the one that's superficial and non empathic? How long have you been teaching?
    As PFF said: bully for you.
    Do you have a mortgage? Children? Teaching is well paid the longer you stay in it and moving becomes difficult. Did you know there's a recession on?
    And I speak as someone who did leave. On this day of the year particularly I'm thankful I did.
    Now go away and grow up.

11. moonpenny

Poor you!
    Confidence can go so quickly if someone is undermining you.
    Nobody needs that. Even if someone did actually need support, there is no need to undermine them. It sounds like it's the busy body who is to blame here.
    Can't you leave suitable job adverts in front of them with a big red circle round them.
    The job is hard enough without colleague adding to the stress. It's a depressing thought all that work politics - I can't be doing with it.
    It's scary hard the knife can be put in and twisted round and how much damage it can cause for little reason other than some petty power game.

12. moonpenny

how

13. I think I feel frustration more than anything else. Knowing the government a going to put more barriers in place to me doing my job. Knowing that I will have colleagues saying "they are fine for me". Knowing that colleagues will refuse to contribute to writing schemes because "they don't get paid for that". Well, yes you do. The constant merry-go-round where nothing gets better, it just gets more work and there is no need for it! I wouldn't say I love my job, it is indeed just a job, but it is such an important job to get right and that makes it high stakes and stressful.

14. Glad you got through your bad year, Tim, but not everyone can turn it into a positive experience. I went back a few years ago after a bad year to find the next one even worse - my SMT had decided that making us work all the hours God sent wasn't enough - they now wanted to force some of us out and I was one of the people they went after.
    Yes, when I found myself without a job and with no confidence at all - I thought long and hard about doing something else. I spent lots of time researching other possibilities career wise. In the end after doing supply teaching I began to feel that I could still teach and that I still wanted to teach and I do have another teaching post which I absolutely love.
    This horrible stuff happened to me after years of teaching happily and coping well with the stresses. You just never know when it will bite you on the backside.
    Mrs A - my heart goes out to you. Really hope things get better for you soon.