1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going back to main pay scale - what point will I be on?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by costello451, Jan 29, 2011.

1. I've had a slightly different career path from the average teacher in the last few years. It looks like I'll be going back to 'normal teaching' in September and am slightly concerned about what point on the MPS I'll be put on. Here's the history:
    - NQT year in state secondary, on 2nd point as I was on the now defunct Fast Track teaching programme
    - 2nd and third years in FE teaching, on points 5 and 6 of lecturer's scale as the college wanted to match my previous salary
    - Most of fourth year teaching in Dubai (although in a British curriculum school)
    - Currently working in CPD delivery (for science learning centre) but looks like the government funding will come too slowly to save my fixed term contract, so may have to do supply teaching or temporary contract in the summer term

In some ways I'm looking forward to going back to teaching children, but would be pretty appalled if after all of that - what I consider enriching - experience I dropped down the pay scale on a technicality!

2. I've had a slightly different career path from the average teacher in the last few years. It looks like I'll be going back to 'normal teaching' in September and am slightly concerned about what point on the MPS I'll be put on. Here's the history:
    - NQT year in state secondary, on 2nd point as I was on the now defunct Fast Track teaching programme
    - 2nd and third years in FE teaching, on points 5 and 6 of lecturer's scale as the college wanted to match my previous salary
    - Most of fourth year teaching in Dubai (although in a British curriculum school)
    - Currently working in CPD delivery (for science learning centre) but looks like the government funding will come too slowly to save my fixed term contract, so may have to do supply teaching or temporary contract in the summer term

In some ways I'm looking forward to going back to teaching children, but would be pretty appalled if after all of that - what I consider enriching - experience I dropped down the pay scale on a technicality!

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I'm afraid it will all be a matter of negotiation between you and the first school to employ you. All you are entitled to as a minimum will be M3.