1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going back part time again. Two kids under two years.

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by HyperBunny, Feb 28, 2018.

1. HyperBunny

HyperBunny New commenter

Need some advice please. I had my first child in Feb 2016 and returned part time in Jan 2017 to year 3. Previous to that I taught only in year 5 for 5 years. I got pregnant almost straight away and started my second maternity leave in sep 2017.

I missed out on threshold unfortunately. I also really struggled managing commuting to school, childcare and having everything ready for my long term supply part time teacher. She didn't do any planning but her teaching and marking were fab. I felt enormous pressure to try and do it all. My year partner was fab and took on a greater work load, which I feel awful about as I was doing it all before kids! I'm a good teacher.

My dilemma is, our school has just gone into R.I. I know I don't want - can't cope - with the work load and work life balance so I want to request to do intervention work across the school.

A colleague has said it won't happen because they would have to create a new role.

My head is not flexible at all and intimidates the hell out of me. I know my decision would benefit the school but I don't know how to persuade her. Could anyone help?

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you go back but not to your class, they'll have to employ someone for that role. There won't necessarily be any budget for it - it would take rather more than persuasion to solve that problem.

You could always ask the head whether the plan is for you to return to year 3, or whether there might be the option of a different role - you never know, there might be a plan to fund some intervention, or whoever is covering PPA might be keen to have a class. However I suspect the answer will be "return to year 3, of course".

3. BarryIsland

BarryIsland New commenter

It may depend what you are expecting to be paid. I can't see it being possible to return on less work/stess/responsibility on teacher pay; we would all like that.
    A Teaching Assistant role, then maybe....

4. friarsyear1

friarsyear1 New commenter

Have you spoken with your union rep or the union directly? I was a full-time pPA and class share teacher. I went on my maternity at the end of Oct last year. I am returning this half term (currently negotiating/being ignored terms of return) and have been told I can return on a 1 day a week contract from September as my daughter is not 1 until December to look at increasing hours in January. I won’t be agreeing to anything more than 2 days. If they want me (and there are plenty of teachers leaving so I know they do) then we should be able to come to a conclusion that works for both of us.

Definitely talk to your union as the first port of call, know your legal standing, then talk to the head, intimidating or not. Good luck

agathamorse likes this.