1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going back into houses

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by WB, Jul 23, 2020.

1. WB

WB Lead commenter

Is it technically breaking any rules if we offer this from September?

I've been online since April but looking towards the new teaching year and wondering what I can and can't offer.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My tutoring agency is tentatively thinking about September for the resumption of face-to-face tutoring.

3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I don't believe you would be breaking any rules by going into student's homes. I think it is just a matter of what you and they are comfortable with. So far none of my students has asked to go back to face to face, so I'm continuing on line for now.

I can't help thinking the risk will be greater in September, when they are all back in school, than it has been during the shut down when they've mostly been at home.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

WB and gainly like this.
  5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Thank you, this seems the section most relevant to tutors:

3.3 Appointments in the home
    Objective: To reduce transmission due to face-to-face meetings and maintain social distancing in meetings.

Steps that will usually be needed:

1. Using remote working tools to avoid in-person appointments.

2. Only absolutely necessary participants should physically attend appointments and should maintain social distancing (2m, or 1m with risk mitigation where 2m is not viable).
    1. Avoiding transmission during appointments, for example, from sharing pens, documents and other objects.

2. Holding meetings outdoors or in well-ventilated rooms whenever possible.

WB likes this.
  6. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I'm doing it now but I've got enough space to be far enough apart. Most of my students are adults. It's no different to having someone round for coffee or whatever. We don't share pens or anything and hands can be washed etc

WB likes this.
  7. WB

WB Lead commenter

8. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

Yeah, I'm thinking of starting around mid August. I've had a lot of people that want me to; as well as online so I'll be doing both. I have a studio (with really wide doors) at the bottom of the garden with entry from a side gate; which means that no one will enter the house at all. I will be encouraging students to have their own hand gel, but I will have this as well and they will have their own equipment (pens etc). After I will be cleaning with antibac wipes & a lot of elbow grease! I'm only limiting it to two students a week, as a trial though.

langteacher likes this.
  9. langteacher

Dettol is our friend!

lorencanna and suzette like this.
  10. suzette

Tell me about it! This is a slightly 'off topic' thing, but during covid/lockdown, I have discovered just how much Dettol is a big thing. My mother has sworn by it throughout my whole life. (A bit of it has always gone in washing, in her bath water; not to mention for cuts and bruises). So when I asked her one day what she wanted when I went shopping for her during a lockdown shop, she said a bottle of Dettol. I couldn't find it anywhere. I found a 'pound shop' alternative instead. Let's just say, that pound shop 'Dettol' came back home with me!! :pYep, nothing beats a bit of Dettol and nothing else will do, even though they all have the same properties in them! (according to my mum, this is NOT the case). I eventually found a bottle of the stuff week's later at the back of my kitchen cupboard. Blimey, the things you do for love!! :D

lorencanna and frangipani123 like this.
  11. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Not to be taken internally!

12. langteacher

You can also use it for pets! Diluted obviously. Well for dogs anyway I don't know about cats
    I actually quite like the smell, it's a proper clean smell

13. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Is this still in force? Surely it can't be, if Bojo has said to go back to work (and stop following the science). I'd be interested to know, as many workplaces seem to be saying their staff need to go back in.

14. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

I won’t be going to students homes in September. If possible I will be sticking to online only permanently . September is going to be a very dangerous time with all children back at school.

humbug likes this.
  15. gainly

gainly Star commenter

If you look at the link, it was updated 23rd July, so presumably it is still the advice. I think they are all guidelines, not legally enforceable.

16. suzette

I can't say I like the smell. I think it's all the times when as a kid, my mum used to put it neat on my cuts! Talk about killing with kindness. I still break out in a cold sweat at the thought! :eek:

langteacher likes this.
  17. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

The whole back to work things involves social distancing and a whole raft of measures to keep people apart and safe. For example, a friend of mine who works in a big office block in London has to book tickets to go in the lift, even to go downstairs to buy a sandwich for lunch! Social distancing when teaching children in my opinion is almost impossible. So I will be staying online for a while yet.

18. suzette

The students I currently have are yr6 primary, KS3, gcse & A level students, so they're ok with the whole social distance thing.

langteacher likes this.
  19. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I'm sure they are fine with it, but can I just ask how you're doing it? Surely you have to sit somewhere close so you can see what they're doing and where they're going wrong? or will you just sit across a big table from each other and just show each other what you're doing from a distance? It seems to me that if you're doing the latter, online would actually be preferable! You're still in and out of many people's houses every week, or lots of people in and out of your house, in the same room as them for an hour or more at a time. Will you war PPE? I'm genuinely curious.

20. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs Occasional commenter

Before lockdown, I had them come to me, and then switched to teaching a few online. A couple are interested in coming back F2F in September. I intend to get a protective screen.