1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going back in to teaching

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Farooq, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Hi,

I completed my PGCE ICT secondary in 2005. After completing my PGCE i did a couple of years of supply teaching and then had a career change and went into a technical role in IT as i didn't feel that i was ready for teaching at that time. I am wanting to get back into teaching now as i feel i am ready to pursue a career in teaching and the fact that i have children of my own now, but i am struggling to get back in.

Can anyone advise me in what i should do or how do i go about it.

2. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

It will help if you can show some recent experience on your CV. Would going in to school as a volunteer helper be an option? If you contact schools and explain what you want to do and why, you should find one willing to offer you some experience. It would mean you'd be able to demonstrate up-to-date knowledge of the classroom, and has the additional advantage of getting you known in a local school in case anything comes up nearby.
    An IT technician role in a school might also be an option, if there are any jobs going locally, just to get you a foot in the door.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

A lot will also depend upon the availability of ICT teaching posts in your area. Generally there have been reduced opportunities as the subject does not figure on E bacc and there is uncertainty about some of the vocational post 16 programmes. The number of training places being cut reflect the general downturn. Getting in on a support role can be a double edged sword as some Heads would not consider trained teachers for support work and you could find moving on from such a role into teaching problematic.

4. Assuming that you have completed your induction year then you can just apply for posts, but you would be advised to think about attending a return to teaching course (see TDA website at http://www.tda.gov.uk/teacher/returning-to-teaching.aspx)
    Do also think about supply teaching to get back into the classroom and to get to know and be known within schools - your previous supply experience will be useful here.
    James

5. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

The issue with supply is the 16 month rule if you haven't completed induction, given that you say you've already done two years of supply, though the Local Authority (or Authorities) covering the schools you might work in may be able to grant you a 12-month extension to do more supply.
    A returners course might be good if you can get on to one, though they've become rare beasts in the past year or so since the funding was cut and those still running will probably have restrictions on what subjects they can accept. As James says, check with the TDA to see if there's still anyone offering these courses in your area.