1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going back full time after maternity leave

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by goldenglow, Jan 14, 2020.

1. goldenglow

goldenglow New commenter

My part time request was rejected so I’m having to go back full time for a term to avoid paying back the maternity pay. Also, I know a part time job elsewhere us not guaranteed either so I could end up working full time for longer. I’m a primary teacher and I used to bring a lot of work home. The evenings I can manage because LO goes to bed at 7 but I would spend all of Sunday working too and thenSaturday would be housework.

I can’t get to work any earlier than before because nursery doesn’t open until 8. Anyone else gone back full time primary? How did you manage?

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Do you know of anyone who would drop your baby at nursery for you?
    If you're in Leeds I'm happy to help!

3. goldenglow

goldenglow New commenter

My husband could some days but even so, my school only opens at 7:30 and I used to get to work at 8 anyway so the extra 30 minutes wouldn’t make a whole lot of difference to helping with my workload.

4. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

You might not want to hear this, but reduce the expectations on yourself! Start considering satisfactory good enough. If it doesn't get done between 8-5.30, say, it won't get done. DO NOT WORK ON SUNDAYS - you should be with your family! Prioritse ruthlessly. Share and re-use planning wherever possible. Use whole class marking and peer marking wherever possible. If all of this doesn't work, start looking around for part-time roles. Good luck!

EBC likes this.
  5. charlene09

charlene09 New commenter

And this is why so many teachers leave. Too many expectations your children come first. If I dont get my work done during school hours I dont get it done. Spending time with my kids is a priority they are only little once

EBC and Piscean1 like this.
  6. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I am facing this possibility. Awaiting the response but after the meeting, I'm not at all hopeful.

For me personally, I really value my mental health and I won't get these years back. I know that I cannot work full time and have caring responsibilities at home. It's not sustainable in the long term so I will do my 13 weeks and leave. The dates work for me that 13 weeks can just be 6 actually working.

If I don't find a part time post, my plan is to put my baby in nursery 3 days a week, do bits of supply and more general agency work. I'm not bothered if I spend days cleaning or working in a factory. My priority is my baby. There's plenty of time for my career later on although I might find something outside teaching where I'm valued and trusted and decide never to go back! Who knows? I'm trying to view it as exciting.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  7. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

I agree with lots said above. It changes your priorities and for the first few years, you many struggle, but not impossible. I went back full time. I had help from my parents 3 days and 2 days nursery. You do manage, and now, after she started school, things are better, more manageable. I only take things home, when I really need to. I've stayed in the same year group so planning and resources are already there. It gets easier is what I'm trying to say, but if I'm honest with myself, it was the best thing i did. I'm so lucky to be a teacher and have the holidays, unlike some of my friends in different sectors who went back full time.
    Good luck!

8. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

Can I just add that childcare is one problem, but another issue that not many people talk about if managing the house and life admin - you know, all the stuff housewives used to do when they didn't have jobs! Cleaning, shopping, putting the bins out, bills, renewing insurance policies...when you have a full time job and kids to look after in the evening this is often the hardest part to fit in. Yes your childcare might be covered during the day, but there's still lots of looking after them once you pick them up, plus any extra planning/work in the evenings, plus all the life admin! I worked out that for the amount of extra money I'd get full time once I'd paid tax, nursery fees plus the very necessary cleaner, I was no worse off working 3 days a week. It won't be forever remember!