1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going around in circles .... advice please !!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bebhinn, Aug 27, 2012.

1. I'm in a dilemma that's been keeping me awake most of the school holidays ...

I have a year 1/2 class this year with 30 very mixed ability children and really don't know which route to go down in relation to how I set the classroom up and how I teach the children.

My initial thoughts were to have numeracy/literacy in the morning and choosing activities in the afternoon with more focussed activities for the year 2s. However I have the KS1 leader (reception teacher) telling me the provision should be play orientated and the KS2 leader stressing that the children should be taught more traditionally especially the year 2's.

Being the newbie to KS1 I don't really want to rock the boat but am at a loss of how to make this work

Bebh

2. I'm in a dilemma that's been keeping me awake most of the school holidays ...

I have a year 1/2 class this year with 30 very mixed ability children and really don't know which route to go down in relation to how I set the classroom up and how I teach the children.

My initial thoughts were to have numeracy/literacy in the morning and choosing activities in the afternoon with more focussed activities for the year 2s. However I have the KS1 leader (reception teacher) telling me the provision should be play orientated and the KS2 leader stressing that the children should be taught more traditionally especially the year 2's.

Being the newbie to KS1 I don't really want to rock the boat but am at a loss of how to make this work

Bebh

3. Hey!
    I'm in a similar situation: moving to year 1/2 from year 5! I think the key should be remembering how short their concentration span will be. I'm preparing lots of fillers/games (educationally based). I'm going to be quite firm with the Year 1s (!) about completing the activities that I am setting - (not the opportunities they see out the window!) I think you could get 'round the situation by phrasing activities as 'explore' activities on plans - so it meets the expectations of the FS teacher that you are allowing choice but the KS2 leader sees that the activities are directed to developing skill. So year 1s have the choice to choose but are choosing the activities you set which develops their key skills. I think really that you should be the one to decide how the provision should be, based on your first few weeks with the class. Carousels could be an option as it might suit short attention-spans! Good Luck and let me know if you discover an excellent solution!

4. Hi,
    I teach year 1 and we teach literacy and numeracy in the morning with half the children choosing independent activities and the other half completing the literacy/ numeracy activity then we swap over. The afternoons are set up with lots of different activities for the children to access with particular tasks the children must complete by the end of the day. Year 2 in my school set up afternoons in a similar way with the teacher having different focused groups throughout the afternoon. Could you maybe do this so you are still having some structure for y2 children?they could maybe have more tasks that must be completed and so are more focused.

5. I really like this idea but am being particularly dim this evening. My numeracy session is timetabled as 1 hour ... so would I do input, work with 2 groups while 2 do independent activities for half the session, then swap the groups and do their activities, then the plenary ?

Also are the independent activities related to numeracy during numeracy or can they choose to do anything? I was reading a thread earlier about challenge boards where the children have to do so many challenges a week.

Bebh

6. Yeah I do the main input then send 2 groups off to to independent activities and then one group with myself and the other with the TA. Then swap so adult let groups are independent. I then gather them all fir the plenary. I let them choose from any activity to start with and change this in January, to make it more focused. Maybe you could have numeracy focused activities / challenges for the year 2 children to access when they are working independently.