1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Going abroad prior to induction?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by maypv, Jun 17, 2015.

1. maypv

maypv New commenter

I am in the last week of my PGCE (secondary). I really enjoyed the year but have not managed to secure a job for September and have recently been called up on a number of my assignments and my placement file which now have to be resubmitted which will delay my QTS. I'm really just fed up.

My initial plan was to do my NQT year and then go abroad but I can't face the thought of doing a year of cover. I applied for two jobs abroad, one in europe teaching EFL to adults, the other in S. America teaching EFL in a primary montessori. I'm really tempted to accept one of these jobs but would doing so negatively affect my chances of getting a post to complete my induction year at a later date?

And if I don't complete my induction year within the allowed time, what happens? I don't plan on living in the UK long term (I'm not from here originally) but I don't want this year to be a waste...

Also, sorry if this isn't quite the right place for this...

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

There is no time limit for doing an induction year. There is a five year limit for doing short term supply ( from now) what doesn't count towards your induction. That means after 5 year any job has to be a whole term at least.

Going abroad- really depends how long for... Bear in mind the longer you are away the harder it will be to convince an employer you are up to date. Particularly with the transient nature of the English education system.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Your priority needs to be ensuring that you successfully complete your PGCE and do gain QTS . Without this your options will be limited.

Induction can be delayed and the opportunity to gain a wider experience should be seriously considered. Induction can be completed at any stage there is no time restriction upon it only upon the amount of non-induction supply work which is 5 years from the date of your QTS.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

There is no time limit for completing induction. The longer you leave it after your PGCE, the more difficult it will be to get a job, as your training will get increasingly out of date... but if you could get a job, you could complete induction 10 or even 20 years after qualifying. So don't panic about that.

Even if you never complete induction, the year will not be a waste. You will have QTS, a teaching qualification which opens doors to teaching in many countries around the world. You only need to complete your NQT year if you want to teach in a British state school.

5. As stated above, there is a no time limit for induction so that is not an issue. A break and then completion of induction is also not uncommon, provided the break is not too long. That said, if you are teaching overseas, it may be possible to have a shortened induction if you come back on the basis of your teaching experience, but it will depend on the type of teaching you do and whether or not the LA accepts this. EFL or Montessori may not be accepted as this is not necessarily mainstream teaching.

James

Follow me on twitter @edujdw