1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

God the Lottery is a load of old ....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Dec 18, 2018.

?

Do you play the lottery?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    65.2%
  3. Other

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Insert your own swear words.

I'm accidentally watching adverts because my TV doesn't have AdBlocker, unlike my laptop... result? Why are they still advertising the lottery? Oh it's a superdraw? Yawn... so begging me to give them more money... because that's all it is, donating money in the pathetic hope of some big payout. Utter drek designed to appeal to the desperate in our society and parasitically drain them of funds they need.

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

What do you think we ought spend the two quid on, @lanokia? Would it be better given to a homeless person to buy a can of Special Brew with?

What if the lottery win enabled the winner to buy a homeless person a home instead?

3. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

and the fact that the Lottery (with our money) does fund loads of really worthwhile services and projects . . but please don't get me started on the topic of charity v. centralised LA funding :rolleyes:

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

i've never bought a lottery ticket or a scratchcard

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Me neither.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

How I wish I was perfect.

artboyusa and Mangleworzle like this.
  7. pussycat

pussycat New commenter

Not sure that all causes donated to are very well researched. One organisation which was to have a large donation is currently under review thankfully.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  8. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

It's a tax on optimism.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I funded the London Olympics.

There is no way I can financially improve my (admittedly already comfortable) life except by a lottery I can easily afford. I get a good ten seconds' frisson of entertainment checking the ticket.

racroesus likes this.
  10. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Aint it the core of our society though.
    Aspire to be fabulously wealthy.
    And give a bit to the poor.
    How about we all put a pound in a pot every week and fund our schools, our NHS.
    And Social support for causes we all agree should exist - these should not be charity
    When we aspire that all shall have what they need we will have a civilized society.
    Meanwhile I watch the poor spend a ridiculous amount on draw cards in Asda......

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'm still trying to prepare for my big 9 figure win so that Maleficent doesn't get a whiff of it.

12. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Camelot (aka a load of rich fatcat financiers who REALLY need the money) get at least 40%, then fiddle it off into their preferred (probably British dependent) tax havens. The odds have been reduced and reduced and the stake has gone up to the point where people think they could do something better with it, like eat.

13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Sometimes it's not relevant to look at the bigger picture.
    The reality is that Lottery Tickets continue to be sold in order to justify the labyrinthine zig zag barriers which they have erected in WHSmiths for The Queue.
    If there were no lottery, then people buying actual useful everyday stuff would not be required to form a queue, because buying a packet of polos or an erudite (ha) fishing magazine takes about thirteen seconds, whereas buying a lottery ticket takes about eighty three minutes.

14. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I buy a ticket about once a year. In fact I bought one yesterday as it was a huge Euromillions jackpot. If I’ve won I’ll treat you all to lunch at the next TES meet!

15. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

I've seen the knight of the round table (Camelot) en masse at a meeting at a Conservation and Environment Centre ... they all arrived in matching BMWs.
    I asked one if they lived a long way from their workplace?
    They replied no, they all work from home.............

16. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

The biggest con is the Postcode lottery because the odds of winning when it first started (10 yrs ag0?) were zero. Its only now that there is a critical mass of subscribers that the odds have improved and they can afford to advertise on telly.

17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

You should always ask for a receipt if you buy a lottery ticket, so if the one you were sold doesn't work, you can take it back.

mothorchid, lanokia and racroesus like this.
  18. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I have bought a ticket for every draw since the lottery started in November 1994 and I have played the same numbers.

The most that I have ever got is 3 but I know that if I stopped my six numbers would come up.

I am too much of a coward to take that chance!

19. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The £75 million the Lottery Fund gave for refurbishing the Royal Opera House was particularly worthwhile, although the £35 million for English National Opera and the £30 million for Sadlers Wells always seemed a bit mean in comparison.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

An easy, spiteful jab.