1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

God. Is He showing himself to you as you get older?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Jun 29, 2019.

1. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

A few (more) people I know have now said they have seen and felt God and so have become very argumentative with me as I (still) consider myself an atheist. This seems to be happening with worrying regularity especially as people turn 40 odd.

What is going on? Has God started to infiltrate Facebook and use the data He has (must make Cambridge Analytica look like real nobodies, come to think of it...) to win you all around?

sodalime likes this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Went to my first humanist funeral yesterday. it was a fitting tribute to our dear neighbour - far more so than a religious one would have been - and it was what she had specified. We should all write our own funerals, and write God out (along with the tooth fairy & Father Christmas and all other myths...;))

3. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

He/She better not show her face near me as I’ve had such a dreadful few weeks that I’m rapidly evolving into the antichrist. :mad:

4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

What is this thread going to evolve into? (And isn't Rees Mogg, your avatar) a rampant catlick?

monicabilongame likes this.
  5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Maybe it's time to leave the monastery and try a different career?

6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I think we all know the answer to that...

monicabilongame likes this.
  7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

God "shows himself" to certain individuals, coincidentally around the time they have felt their mortality or had difficult personal issues.
    Well tell you what, God: how about you ditch your famous policy of complete non-intervention and help your devotees? Rohingya, Muslims of the wrong sub-division, dirt-poor US Christians who are dying because they can't afford treatment, so-called clerics who needed smiting way before they ruined thousands of children's lives.....
    God.
    giphy.gif
    Appear to me and tell me what the point of you is.

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Religion is just politics played differently. If the bible was called Boris instead, people would soon work out not to trust what it says.

9. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Established commenter

How can I possibly leave this thread alone!?
    I came to God like this. I was agnostic in my teens and twenties, never an atheist, I kept an open mind. I have always thought deeply about origins (big bang stuff) and purpose. I was never a Church goer, and still not now. At 30 I had what I believe was a revelation (cf. C. S. Lewis) and then knew that God existed. My anarchist friends said that I had had a mild mental breakdown. I guess posters here will say it was severe and I am still suffering. So be it. I only became a Christian much later (similar again to Lewis).
    I"ll stop there, I do not want to bore you all anymore.

Alice K, les25paul, chelsea2 and 2 others like this.
  10. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

And could we say that politics is just religion played differently?

sbkrobson likes this.
  11. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Mid life crisis?

minnie me and nomad like this.
  12. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Not boring at all, very interesting.

Could well develop into an interesting discussion.

As for Mogg I have said I admire someone who stands by what he says, I fully support his views on Brexit and I know his picture riles liberals hence the admitted childish imp side to my reason(s) for choosing it as my avatar.

artboyusa and lexus300 like this.
  13. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

And I suppose you like Francis Thompson and 'The Way Of All Flesh' by Butler. You only need 'Other Men's Flowers' By Wavell and you're nearly there.

14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I've always been somewhat suspicious of those who "know" what's going on, especially when there are so many of them with totally different viewpoints who "know" because God has shown him/her/them-selves to them and none of them can show you what they are on about.

I've always thought more than a small part of religion is about hedging your bets just in case, it's safer to not be a believer when you're young but can be a bit close for comfort when you're older. More than anything the religious always seem somewhat smug that they have made sure they are alright. I mean I've never heard of anyone being so selfless and holy that they say to God at the end, "Tell you what, I'll let that bloke over there have my place in heaven to save him from eternal damnation, I'll be off to hell".

15. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Established commenter

I claim to know God exists, not just believe He exists, but I certainly do not know what is going on, any more than the rest of us. That is what is wrong with most so-called Christians, they even think they know what happens in the after-life!

agathamorse likes this.
  16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I'm like a lot of Quakers. I've got an amorphous view of God.

My elderly neighbour needs a bit of help at the moment so, when I do something for him on a hot day and feel cream-crackered, I reckon that might be God. And when someone does something nice for me that they have no need to do. Yeah, God. Why not?

That pleasant feeling when people are kind. God.

But "show himself to me"? What? Sounds like something out of a Marvel comic. I'm not 8.

17. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

That applies across the spectrum, from devoted believer to confirmed atheist.

sodalime, Mangleworzle and nomad like this.
  18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I shall leave it to those left behind with the stipulation that it isn't expensive and the wish that it is canvas or wicker-work.

sodalime likes this.
  19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I did not reject God. My thought process simply changed in a way that would not allow belief without evidence. The more I read and find out about the universe, the more I am able to find awe, fascination, wonder, excitement, optimism, without God.

20. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

True, but why does God get a special word for people who don't believe in made-up beings?

There's no more reason to believe in pixies, unicorns or fairies, but we don't describe people as being imp-agnostic or pixie-atheist do we? There is as little evidence for any of these things and many thousands of other imaginary friends. Believers however feel the need to compartmentalise the otherness of non-believers and make the absence of a thing a thing.