1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Go Leicester City

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Feb 6, 2016.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

i think it's great to see a team like Leicester City push it's way to the top of the Premier League. I don't take much interest in football - partly because the same few teams swapping the top spots hardly makes it interesting. And after living and working on the edge of Manchester for 30 years I got pretty tired of the Reds triumphalism (in Ferguson's day). I was pleased when Manchester City bought themselves into a position to move up to play at the top but I'm bored with that now and live in the Midlands anyway. My team is Aston Villa so that's a sorry state of affairs but Go Leicester City!

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

3. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I wish there was a boo button! It was a cold, wet afternoon at the Etihad and the whole spectacle had a hint of inevitability about it. Leicester looked big and strong today and were worthy winners. It looks like City have capitulated again albeit they are suffering a lot of injuries at the moment - Silva has gone on the sick list today. The spectre of Guardiola doesn't seem to be having a positive effect either. Ho hum. Sorry for rambling - I get a bit excited when somebody mentions the footy. Leicester were great today. It seems to be a perfect storm for them this season. Good for them. Enjoy!

4. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I'm just pleased to see any Midlands team do well to be honest!

(Not a fan, but I do like to see my local team do well. Not looking too good though)

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Mr Marlin's mascot - bought before the start of the season.

upload_2016-2-6_20-58-28.png

It's a happy household here! :D

lindenlea likes this.
  6. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

I'm loving this season. so much more interesting than the last 4674609640709... Mahrez and Vardy are bringing in loads of points for my fantasy team :D

marlin likes this.
  7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I nearly started a thread on this myself but thought I would be pilloried

So thanks!

It could be up there with Clough's achievements with Nottingham Forest and Derby County

Have a bit of this commentary from Radio Leicester:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03hcq4t/player

and Riyadh Mahrez - the buy of the season at least. The speed with which he does this is incredible, even in slow motion:

Awesome!

marlin and lindenlea like this.
  8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Vardy's goal against Liverpool:

The ball from Mahrez is top class, bit of backspin, it sits up, Vardy has to readjust his stride, and it's begging to be smashed...

marlin likes this.
  9. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

They have a great manager who seems to get the very best from them and fully understand tactics to use in English football. He is the one now who is under extreme pressure as he will know the hardest thing in sport is when young, carefree players doing brillianty because they are young and carefree, start believing their hype or worse, thinking it's all over and start planning the victory ceremony.

I think the whole world wants them to do it. Would understand if they implode!

10. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Both Mr Gp and I want them to get the title. Shearer mentioned the possible implosion on MotD because it happened at Rovers (my team) and they nearly lost their one chance. I hope they all take note. I'm sure they have people telling them that.

lindenlea likes this.
  11. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

This is why I think they are so fortunate to have Ranieri. He is so cool and classy as many Italians and has experienced severe stress and expectation like many Italian managers - he is quite excellent at playing expectations down but at the same time getting the very best out of the players and keeping them calm. You need that in the run up rather than Keegan screaming and shouting or Ferguson giving hair dryer treatment.

12. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

Capitulation perfectly describes City's performance. I knew which way the wind was blowing after the first goal went in. Another 'head in your hands' day in our blue household.

Leicester were brimming with determination and fully deserve to be sitting at the top of the table, although I'm not sure how long they can keep it going. If not City, I'd rather see them lifting the trophy at the end of the season.

As for Ranieri, I've always been a big fan and can't help feeling that his success this season is even more enjoyable considering the person who replaced him at Chelsea is currently unemployed.

13. xmal

xmal Established commenter

I just wonder at which point will the pundits actually acknowledge that Leicester are contenders. Would love to see them take the title just to shake things.

lindenlea and lizziescat like this.
  14. marlin

marlin Star commenter

They all did last night on Match of the Day - not just Gary. They are the bookies favourite now.

15. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Obviously Manchester City need to buy some more players to strengthen their squad so they can compete with a team like Leicester City.
    Great to see smaller teams like Spurs and Leicester challenging the established big clubs.

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Saw a tweet from Michael Rosen that said Leicester's team cost £200 million less than Man City - could that be true?

17. marlin

marlin Star commenter

bookies' favourite :oops::oops:

I believe it is true - they had a graphic displayed on MOTD last night with all the transfer fees paid for the two teams.