1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gnomeo and Juliet - What did you make of it?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by 05dan10, Feb 23, 2011.

1. bfudge69

bfudge69 New commenter

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the film too. OH thought it was ok.

2. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

Yogi Bear has been requested by mine...
    I've heard that tangled is very good and 'back to the original Disney style' .

3. Defo seeing that tomorrow then!

4. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

Hope you enjoy it
    :eek:)

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I don't go to the cinema (which is a shame as I can get a card that lets my companion in for free!) - I have to wait for DVD releases.
    I am waiting for Toy Story 3 to become available at the library.
    I will now look out for Despicable Me - ad a few of you seem to think it's worth watching!

I have objections to 'Tangled' - they have got it wrong! The trailer says Rapunzel is a princess, and she wasn't! Her mum and dad were peasants/farmers who lived next door to a wirtch!

6. headforheights

headforheights New commenter

We saw Yogi at the weekend. I quite enjoyed it. My hubby said "It was ok but just like the old one" !!! No sure what he expected and actually I thought it was quite different!

7. It's a shame that the cinema is so expensive!
    It's £7.40 at Cineworld in Sheffield for an adult!

8. That's a bloody bargain!

9. Thank you!

10. Really?! [​IMG]
    How much do you pay?

11. Gulp! It's £5.20 here but cheaper if it's in the small, less popular screen (£3.50) and even then Wednesdays are cheaper than that. It's great living in a rural hinterland sometimes!

12. Where's that?

13. £11.40 for a normal '2D' film.

14. Bloody hell! Where's that?

15. Good old SE London [​IMG]

16. Hampshire

17. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Yes, they do mess with the traditional story. But that's what Disney always do. "The Little Mermaid" was a travesty of the Hans Christian Anderson short story, and in Beauty and the Beast they got rid of Beauty's 2 sisters and changed the father from a wealthy merchant who'd fallen on hard times, into an eccentric inventor.
    I think that when you go to see a Disney film, you have to forget the original fairy tale or whatever else it's based on, and just enjoy it as a film.

Mind you, as an early years teacher, it is frustrating when young children think that the Disney version is the "proper" version - or even the only version - of a stlry.

18. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Tangled is definitely a film for the whole family. Mr C (whose taste runs to action films and terrible comedies) had a fit when I told him that Tangled was a version of Rapunzel (he only thought to ask me what it was about when we were in the car on the way to the cinema!).
    But even he really enjoyed it. And Cariadlet loved it.

19. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Another recommendation for Tangled here. I saw it at the weekend and really enjoyed it. Disney back to how it should be :)

20. Mr Shoesies and myself enjoy regular trips to the cinema (we save money by buying those monthly cards at £12.50 or something each- 2 trips and you have made your money). but we both love children's films. Despicable Me was awesome and had us both in hysterics all the way through, I still did have a soft spot for cloudy with a chance of meatballs though around that time. We went to see Tangled and it is very much 'old school' disney with great songs and just generally a lovely film. We then went to see Gnomeo and he loved it but because I had seen Tangled it just didn't compare. It had funny parts (may he rest in pieces etc) but it was not the same enjoyment factor that Tangled had. (I have to add that Rapunzel is in my OHs top 5 now- just a shame she is a cartoon bless him!)