1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gnashing of teeth

Discussion in 'Education news' started by nearmiss, May 12, 2016.

1. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

2. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Back to Dame schools soon.

3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

So was the job advertised? Who short-listed and interviewed? Was the conflict of interests declared? Can it still be described as nepotism if she isn't being paid?

peggylu and JeannieMc like this.
  4. Malaguena

Malaguena New commenter

And don't you love the quote "I decided not to become a qualified teacher as I believe that high energy and a love for your subject are the most important qualifications" ! Ha! And why bother with those pesky quaifications and pedagogical theory eh, Jo, when Daddy can just hand you a place in the classroom!

5. JeannieMc

JeannieMc New commenter

Shortly it will be announced that she is the new Principal. 2 out of the 4 schools in the cluster, are rated Outstanding; wonder if it helps that the 'owner' is Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Schools?
    "Future Academies, which has four schools in its group, is seen as a blueprint for other institutions to be rolled out by the government."

They said that about Perry Beeches; it had some Outstanding schools too, but it didn't stop someone from putting their hands in the till, did it? I read that one of Lord Nash's previous investment vehicles, Sovereign Capital, owned companies with more than £70m-worth of government contracts. In January 2013, he became a life peer and schools minister.

He tried to have the school day extended by 45 minutes but parents and teachers rebelled. 20 teachers threatened to quit. Where's the Unions in all this? What about his conflict of interest; I despair at our Opposition Parties. The Tories are running rampant; selling everything that's not nailed down.

http://www.theguardian.com/educatio...-lord-nash-longer-school-day-schools-minister

delnon, emerald52, peggylu and 2 others like this.
  6. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

Right?! I didn't realise high energy and a love for the subject were mutually exclusive to qualifications? I guess all us qualified teachers must have lost our energy and love for the subject while doing that oh so unimportant pedagogical theory.

delnon, Shedman, minnie me and 4 others like this.
  7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I thought I got the qualifications because I loved the subject.

delnon, Shedman and Anonymity like this.
  8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I wonder how she would react if her doctor told her a similar thing about his/her lack of qualification?

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I was always full of "high energy" in my youth when I played football.

Didn't stop me being useless at it.

josienig, delnon, Anonymity and 2 others like this.
  10. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Is teaching the only profession where enthusiastic amateurs are given free reign?

11. SportyK

SportyK Occasional commenter

Seems so, our profession is being treated as a joke. What other occupation would allow a Secretary of State with no experience of the field she is heading up?

12. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

Doctors?

13. SportyK

SportyK Occasional commenter

Good God, his resume' is even worse than Morgan's! A failed exporter of Marmalade who now runs our Health Service.

14. redlamp2

:D:D:D

Even Paddington Bear told him to k'off

SportyK likes this.
  15. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

No. Politics. And that's the problem. As in the most asinine comment I ever met: "I don't need to know how to do your job in order to be your manager."
    Duh...

16. redlamp2

To be fair most politicians are not amateurs - they've studied from a young age to be just one thing... a politician! The issue is that they have little idea of what or who it is they're supposed to represent.