1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gmail account for the school diary

Discussion in 'Primary' started by florenceA08, Oct 1, 2017.

1. florenceA08

florenceA08 New commenter

Dear Community

I wonder if you can help. I teach in an inner London primary school. Our headteacher has opened a Gmail account and electronically set up a school diary.

He has asked all members of staff to provide him with a Gmail address so that we are all able to view the diary. We cannot add or alter the events in the e- diary.

My concerns are:
    Should there be a Gmail e -diary when Outlook should have been used?
    Is this normal practice?

As a school within a borough we already have Outlook linked to the name.school.borough.sch address official email for staff.

I also don't feel comfortable with providing another email account (just to check a diary) amongst the numerous that we all seem to be acquiring these days.

Please advise as I seem to be the only staff member that has not provided one.

Thank you

2. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

The head has used their Gmail account to set up a Google Calendar (not a Gmail diary)
    You do not need a Gmail account to be able to use it, or indeed to view or edit any Google Sheets or Google Docs that they create
    Have a look at the instructions on my school's Google Calendar that we send parents:
    http://www.salesian.surrey.sch.uk/school-life/calendar/
    Show this to your head and ask for the details so you can add the calendar to your phone etc

3. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Clearly your head is a techno-ignoramus who is "having a go" at good use of technology in an unprofessional manner.

There is no need for staff to setup personal accounts to do this, the head just needs to get the school signed up to google education and create accounts for staff. It's free. https://eduproducts.withgoogle.com/

Pomz and Stiltskin like this.
  4. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

As above, no issue with using gmail instead of those nonsensical long borough.county.nonsense email addresses, but it should be a school one set up centrally not personal ones. My old school was the first school in the borough to buck the trend and use google mail.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Do NOT add the calendar to your phone, nor anything else associated with school. Why the heck would you want to be disturbed every time the head adds an event to the diary?

The head will have heard from another head about the benefits of a google diary/calendar and is trying to sort it out...badly!

Pomz and alexanderosman like this.
  6. Guitargirl28

Guitargirl28 New commenter

One of my old schools had the gmail calendar but they just set up one account and gave everyone the login details. It wasn't used for anything else.