1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gluten Free...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by inky, Mar 3, 2016.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

My niece has coeliac disease and it's a real nuisance, not least because she loves bread and pasta. She is now quite irritated by the fact that she feels labelled as a culinary hypochondriac on account of all the people who mix up genuine Problems with imagined Issues. She particularly resents being linked with anything Guilt Free. Shes not a vegan, she likes her tucker and she's not hooked to any trendy dietary bandwagon.

2. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

Has she recently been diagnosed?

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

How pathetic. I'm upping my own thread.

4. Alf58

Two of my closest relatives are coeliacs so I have much to say on this but as I am subject to pre-moderation my posts take hours to appear.

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

That must be particularly frustrating

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Imagined issues?

You mean people who have some very unpleasant symptoms and, since medics in general know little about this (it's not a money-spinner), can't get a diagnosis and so have no option but to tinker with their diets?

People who spend long hours in the bathroom but nobody has ever got to the root of the problem?

People who simply don't know what to do to get better?

That much-despised group of people?

7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I was under the, perhaps mistaken, impression that gluten free food had improved in quantity and quality over recent times. Phil Vickery provides gluten free recipes, may even have written a book, and I'm sure there are baked goods in there.

I imagine it's difficult when you have to keep explaining and it's one of those "hidden" issues that isn't immediately apparent.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Gluten is the current devil food according to people who know nothing about it.
    There's nothing wrong with gluten if you are not coeliac or (diagnosed by GP not Google) genuinely intolerant. Reducing gluten has no logic behind it at all.....if gluten is not a problem don't reduce it and if it is a problem, reducing it will still cause problems.
    Gluten free foods are expensive, generally don't taste as good, and have higher fat and sugar levels than regular 'gluten' products.
    Having said that, I visited a gluten free cafe in Reading last week and the food was amazing! But it was all homemade by proper chefs and bakers.

Alf58 likes this.
  9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I probably hadn't realised that there was more fat and sugar in gluten free goods, but obviously, if you take something away, you have to put something else in.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  10. Alf58

Accurate info in your post, Belle. People who have not been diagnosed as coeliac do not need to go on a gluten free diet but it is becoming trendy with assorted silly people giving up gluten because they think it is "healthy": really they are just food fadists. The only sure fire way of being diagnosed is by endoscopy as the existing blood tests are inaccurate. I think GPs are much more aware of coeliacs these days and will order the necessary tests if required. Two of my immediate relatives are coeliacs and three others in my extended family are also coeliacs.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Have you tried eating any of it? Don't! It's vile. Do not waste your money.

Have you tried cooking gluten-free? Without gluten there's little elasticity in the mixture. Once cooked you just get dry and crumbly.

Until you have plenty of practice and compare notes with a lot of people. But even then the taste isn't as good.

12. Alf58

My wife makes excellent gluten free cakes which are lighter and much nicer than cakes made with ordinary flour. The lack of gluten takes away the heaviness you sometimes get in traditional baking. It takes time and perseverance to get used to gluten free cooking/baking but it is well worth it.
    I completely agree that a lot of the shop bought stuff is high in fat and sugar and low in flavour.

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I know someone who is not coeliac but went gluten free 2 years ago. He was concerned at his ever increasing weight and abdominal bloating. He recognises that he is not allergic or insensitive to gluten but that his diet was full of wheat flour based products.

Eliminating ordinary bread, pasta etc has allowed him to lose the excess weight easily and he has adapted to his new 'exclusion' diet, getting enough carbs and protein from sources other than wheat flour.

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Tell her to do whatever she needs to do and give no mind to others.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Eliminating wheat essentially means eliminating bread, pasta, biscuits, cakes, pastry............all food VERY high in simple, starchy carbohydrates that the body quickly converts to fat for storage. This is nothing to do with any gluten content, just that foods containing gluten also contain loads of starch. Your friend has lost weight simply by eating fewer calories.
    I eat very few wheat products. As a family we eat a diet mostly based on fresh fruit and vegetables, lean meat and fish and very few starchy foods (including rice and potatoes as well as cereals). We have all lost weight.

16. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I once believed my abdominal bloating and gas was due to some wheat/gluten-based problem but it turned out to be the yeast. I get the same thing with beer, but not wine or spirits.

17. Alf58

I dont know the precise science but I believe hops are related to wheat so they contain gluten.Beer and lager cannot be consumed by coeliacs. Luckily my wife is quite happy with cider and occasionally wine.
    I am sure someone on here will be able to explain with more precision regarding the relationship between hops wheat and gluten.

18. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

@Alf58 I know a coeliac, and she drinks the odd pint or two of Guiness.with no problem. I did wonder though.

(Edit: she gets NHS scrips for gluten free bread, but luckily she is fond of spuds)

19. Alf58

I believe some coeliacs are more sensitive to gluten than others. I am pretty sure if my missus drank a pint of Guiness she would be up all night with stomach cramps vomiting and the runs.This happened recently when some friends cooked what they said was gluten free lasagne but it turned out not to be. I guess it depends on ones level of sensitivity. My daughter says even if your friend can drink Guiness without ill effect, she is risking long term serious damage to her digestive tract and should seriously consider not doing it.

cissy3 likes this.
  20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I know that and so does he. He doesn't like the gluten free breads and cakes so has basically eliminated the high calorie foods that he ate too much of and feels better for it.
    As he is not allergic or sensitive to gluten, he doesn't ask for adjustments to items in restaurants or when eating with family and friends.