1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Gluten free vegetarian 11 year olds eating in central London!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by CarrieV, Mar 16, 2011.

1. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I have to take my yr 6's out to eat in central London ( Regent Street/Piccaddilly Circus area). One is gluten intolerant and another is a vegetarian who doesn't like salad. We need somewhere we can all eat, that is inexpensive ( last year we ate in Pizza Hut so we are looking at something in a similar price range). I also have one who apparently doesn't eat chinese food which was my suggestion! They are a fussy lot this year! Any ideas?

2. jumblyjack

jumblyjack New commenter

Hiya, most places will cater for veggieness, the gluten free part may mean calling ahead but they normally find ways aournd these things (we've had several students that have major allergies like this). How's this? Went to the one in Exeter and it's really nice http://www.giraffe.net/restaurants there's one in Covent Garden (so free entertainment too!) [​IMG]

3. moggycat

moggycat New commenter

Yeah, tell them to like it or lump it!! Really, do you need to pander to them? If they don't like it then surely they can stay behind at school? Obviously prioritising the ones who have proper diet requirements i.e. no gluten. Sorry to sound so harsh I just think kids have no appreciation nowadays! I know this post makes me sound like some old moaner, i'm only 27!

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I have sympathy with the vegetarian and the gluten intolerant... but "I don't like salad"? Don't choose a salad then. Easy.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

It's the vegetarian who doesn't like salad, he is also anorexic, so finding anything he is prepared to eat is a trial! I'm just looking for as many options as I can, they can then narrow the choice down themselves and reach a compromise!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

My ex is gluten free and vegetarian. Fortunately (or just as well) she likes salad. That's not why we split up but it did make meals out (and in) complicated.
    Jacket potatoes / risottos / omelettes / rice dishes are always good.

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Burger and a slap then. Get him to bring his own food.

8. There is a Prezzo on Haymarket

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

He did say he was quite happy to wander off by himself and find something he likes.. The risk assessment for that would be fun to complete!

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Thanks. So far I've got Giraffe, Prezzo, Garfunkels and wander the streets 'til we find something!

11. I'm gluten free and I live off these things- good job I like them! Seriousy though you can usually find jacket potatoes everywhere you go on a lunchtime menu. The anorexic, veggie salad hater is going to be tricky though.....

12. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

If they cannot eat in the place where most of the class will be happy, then leave them at school or tell the parents to send a packed lunch.

The day that our school stopped selling me bacon sarnies because of the musems was the day I decided to leave the UK.

13. Zizzi now off gluten free pasta as do Carluccio's (although appreciate Carluccio's not suitable for school trip). Both do vegetarian and would have thought even a non salad eater will eat pizza!

14. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We're on a 4 day "end of year 6"trip to the Big City! Most of them have never left the small rural village we live in, their idea of a city is the small market town 6 miles away!. The majority of the time we cook for ourselves in the evenings and have packed lunches with us so catering for odd-bods isn't a problem but one evening we try to "eat out" They certainly don't mean to be "fussy" Thanks for all the suggestions, part of the fun is the planning so it's now down to them. They don't like to leave any of their friends unhappy so are trying to suit everyone. Personnally I'd take them to Chinatown and feed them ducks feet[​IMG]