1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

glut of cooking apples - what to do?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by cariad2, Oct 26, 2011.

1. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Our apple tree has produced a massive crop of apples this year. I've been giving them away to friends and family, but still have more than I know what to do with. I'm not much of a cook so have just been making apple crumbles and apple pies, and I've stocked the freezer with stewed apple.
    I'm getting bored now, so would like to do something different with them, but any recipes need to be very easy and suitable for vegans. Any suggestions?

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

Have you tried juicing any? Freshly juiced apple is entirely different from the apple juice you buy. It tastes just like drinking an apple, if you know what I mean. It has the same flavour you get eating an apple and it's incredibly healthy for you. If the cooking apples are too sharp, juice some carrots into it as well to sweeten it or make a cocktail of whatever you like.
    How about making some apple wine? It's one of the easier country wines to have success with.
    And there's apple sauces to experiment with to accompany your nut rissoles or whatever it is vegans eat for their Sunday roast. Being slightly flippant here of course, but as was pointed out on another thread, we don't get very much input from vegans about their diets. I made a post a while back about experimenting with apple sauce such as adding ginger to it. It wasn't well-recieved by the traditionalists, almost to the point of calling me blastphemous about apple sauce, but it's their loss rather than mine. I'd think a nutburger with spicy apple sauce would go down a treat.

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I'm not sure about making wine - that sounds a bit ambitious for me. But juicing and apple sauce sound a good idea. I hadn't even considered juicing, because I thought you could only do it with eating apples.
    And apple sauce is something that I've just not had for years, and had forgotten about. I'll definitely give that a go on Sunday. Maybe just the basic sauce this weekend, and then I'll try experimenting next time.

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

peel, core, chop and freeze
    make stewed apple/apple sauce and freeze

... you will be surprised how many times frozen apples in the freezer help you out of a hole!

5. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I'm a really rubbish cook - make the same few meals over and over. I'm planning to defrost the stewed apple every now and then, just a portion at a time to give to Cariadlet for her pudding after dinner. But I have no idea what else I could do with it.
    Can you freeze the apples without cooking them first? That's probably a really dumb question, but I thought you needed to stew them first (don't really know where I got that idea from)

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

Yes: peel, core and cut them. Scatter them on a clean roasting tin and put it in your freezer overnight. Next day, transfer the frozen apple pieces to a plastic bag to store in the freezer until, needed.

7. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Well that's dead easy then. It shouldn't take long to fill the freezer!

8. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

Yes, there's no need to cook them. Think about other frozen fruit and veg such as carrots and spinach or raspberries. Cooking your apples reduces your options. You can always cook them when you come to use them.
    Of course there's baked apples as well. Core the apples and leave the skins on. Drizzle with golden syrup, treacle, caramel or just plain sugar where the core was and bake until they are soft. For something extra nice, bake the apples with sugar but make a fudge sauce which in it's simplest form is caramel (sugar and water boiled until it changes colour to a dark tan and no longer or you'll have toffee) then add cream.

9. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

10. garlictractor

garlictractor New commenter

gordon ramseys a chef for all seasons - apple prune and butterscotch compote - prunes greek yougart layered with a butterscotch and apple mix and mor greek yogart mmmmmmmmmmmm

11. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Some of these ideas sound lovely. Unfortunately, Mr C (who, to be fair to him, has being doing loads of stuff around the house and garden himself), has been bossing me around. I've had to spend the afternoon on bonfire duty, trying to get rid of our mountain of garden waste. And tomorrow I'm supposed to be painting a couple of walls. So no time to experiment in the kitchen. [​IMG]

Still, I've frozen loads of apples ready for when I have some more time on my hands. (I'll have to make sure that I hotlist this thread so that I don't forget your suggesetions).

12. I realise this may be more for the peelings and cores rather than the peeled result, but apple jelly?

13. You can use the whole apple to make jelly. I have just made a dozen jars of rosemary jelly and as soon as I pull my finger out plan to make sage jelly and chili jelly for Mr C.

14. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

OoooOOOoooh...that sounds ace. Would never have occurred to me to make something like that. Used as a condiment for lamb, for instance?
    How do you make it, cosmos? We've loads of rosemary in our garden.

15. Easy peasy nick. Make apple jelly in the usual way adding 3 large sprigs of rosemary while apples are cooking.
    When the jelly has reached setting point pour into jars and pop a clean sprig of rosemary into each jar - I briefly dip sprig into boiling water and pat dry first.
    Divine with roast lamb and chicken too.

16. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Brill, thanks, I'm on it this weekend!
    Some for us and some for edible Xmas pressies!

17. Apple chutney - you will not regret it.
    Eve's Pudding (ohhhhhhhhhh, roll on weekend, feeling inspired!)
    Use to stuff chicken.
    Somewhere I have a recipe for apple danish pastries (from my Danish friend Camilla, so I guess pretty genuine!)

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

Remember that cooking apples can keep for a long time when stored in a cool place, not touching each other and, if you like, wrapped in newspaper.
    We had apples for months when I was a child.