1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GLOW to go?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by tomison, Feb 15, 2012.

1. I read in Tess that GLOW is to be taken out of the hands of RM in September 2012, when their contract ends. What is to become of it then? The domain name Glow belongs to RM, so what will the replacement be called? Answers to Mike Russell - I am sure he is looking for an equally inspiring name. Afterglow? Or maybe there is not to be a replacement?

2. I read in Tess that GLOW is to be taken out of the hands of RM in September 2012, when their contract ends. What is to become of it then? The domain name Glow belongs to RM, so what will the replacement be called? Answers to Mike Russell - I am sure he is looking for an equally inspiring name. Afterglow? Or maybe there is not to be a replacement?

3. And who cares?

4. Things can only get better [​IMG]

5. I suspect all the people who have spent time uploading resources (o n e f i l e a t a t i m e) would care. :)

Someone should be held accountable for this fiasco. The spec for Glow was sound in principal, but the implementation was very poor. The concerns from beta testers, who fed back to the developers on a weekly basis, were largely ignored. The biggest complaint was about the user-friendliness of the system and the outdated system it was built on, but it couldn't/wouldn't be changed despite the concerns being fed back at all levels.
    The authorities were no better, and had the option to NOT buy into Glow. Despite advice from those who had tested the software, the authorities bought into a system that was dead from the start.

It needs to go. But the government should not look to replace it. We've found better ways of getting our children to work collaboratively with IT- blogs, wikis, forums, moodle, etc. All free, all readily available and, more importantly, can be used with anyone who can work a mouse.

6. I have heard that they are looking into Google products and Microsoft products and are going to relaunch Glow, or whatever the new intranet will be called, through one of these two. I also heard there will be an announcement tomorrow.

7. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Love it! We can all lie back and enjoy a fag!

8. I reckoned it was doomed the first time I logged in and tried to use it. I knew it was finished when my class logged in and laughed at it. [​IMG]