1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gloucester (GITEP) Partnership Interview

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by jdd29, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Hi Folks.

I have an interview upcoming at Gloucester University with GITEP and was wondering if anyone else had been through the process as yet. If so what was it like and do you have any advice?

It consists of an English & Maths (KS3) test, with interview and 7 minute presentation. I am happy with my presentation but not sure what to expect in the interview. Is it heavy on theory etc... or more general.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

2. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Hi JDD29

I went through this process a few yrs ago, it took place at Oxstalls campus and was not too bad. I eventually got a place on GTP, along with nine others only for Primary, it is enormously competitive. I don['t know about secondary. However, you are at the first hurdle. It may have hcanged since I did it but this is what I had to do.

Test in English and maths, similar to the QTS skills tests, timed. You receive your scores in a letter a week or so later, and they tell you if you are through to the next round, so to speak. You get to mingle with all the other hopefuls on the day,which was interesting. We were all nervous as hell.
    Then you are put into groups of about ten other hopefuls, if I recall. You present to them and the panel at the back your 5-6 mins presentation, some -people did very whizzy powerpoints, others more kinesthetic hand stuff round, other more audience participation. Mine was very straightforward and came from the heart. Then the other hopefuls ask you questions abotu your presentation and you have to field and answer them. This is all observed at the back by the panel (I later got to know them, one became my mentor, one became the Head of the school I did my GTP at and one was the uni head of course). I went first and this helped enormously with nerves- I advise it! One woman just buckled under the pressure, it was awful.
    The proper interview came once we had all been whittled down and it was given by a few schools- I had 2 interviews at different local schools. I then got to state my preference and, if the school agrees you get your preference, which I did. But I would have been fine at either school I reckon. It all wasn't finalised until June, which felt very difficult, in terms of planning your life. I was very, very lucky. All of us, bar one, got a NQt position, many of us at schools we trained in. It was a great course, my mentor was absolutely lovely, but nothing prepares you for the rigours of day to day teaching- this probably comes closest...

GOOD LUCK!

3. Hi dizzymai,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm a bit nervous but looking forward to it now. That sounds pretty similar to the letter they sent so must be the same. I know it is incredibly competitive but I feel I'm a good candidate so will give it my best shot.

I actually have a supporting school already so I really need to impress on the day as this could be the final stage! 10 out of the hundreds of applicants is hard to get in so well done. That's a fantastic achievement.

Thanks again for the reply and hopefully I can let you know that I got on if it goes well!

4. Hi dizzymai

Thanks yes i quite enjoyed it in the end although I always think I could have done better afterwards!

I definitely have the passion for it but as a career changer it is difficult to compete on experience. However I do my best to utilise my holidays and spare time to build this.

Yes if you get through you can put forward a school but will still need to interview and potentially be placed in an existing partner school. Although the school I have currently would be my preference, it would be great to see what type of school and class they matched me with if I was fortunate enough to get through.

Again the people were very friendly and all the fellow candidates were nice too which helped. Just a shame there isnt a place for everyone!

Thanks again for your support!

5. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Have you heard anything???

6. Hi there. Not yet but Im not expecting to hear until the end of the month. Thanks for asking though!