1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Glory hogging partner teacher - getting me down now!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by inferno6, Dec 18, 2010.

1. inferno6

inferno6 New commenter

Hello, I'd really appreciate some advice on this relatively delicate matter.
    I am an NQT on a temporary contract working at a very challenging inner city primary school. Desipte the many challenges that I have had to face over the past term I have triumphed over evil and come out of the other side with many successes. The problem is my partner teacher. I was warned about her - many people told me "watch out, she's very selfish, she's so competitive, nobody likes her." But I wanted to make my own mind up and started the term with a positive working relationship, sharing everything, picking up her slack when her share of the planning wasn't in on time. People commented on how well we worked together but the praise was always directed at her - "look how well you're guiding inferno6! etc etc"
    Now, I am a very hardworking person. Especially seeing as I'm on a temporary contract I want to prove my worth. Every bit of paper work, every topic planned, every IEP or IBP has always been handed in on time, and to a high standard. Somehow she gets away with murder. It doesn't matter if she misses deadlines, or doesnt plan her lessons.
    I'm also not the type of person to complain about things either (despite how I may be sounding now!) I have mentioned all this to my mentor, and she is already aware of these traits. Her advice was to take control of my own classroom. So i did. I planned everything for myself. And to the benefit of my class. They have all made good progress thanks to the provision I have made. The headteacher is also impressed with my efforts and praised me in front of the whole school. Partner teacher did not like this. She did not like to see me succeed. She has tried everything in her power to convince me we need to "work together and share everything" I can see her point. But I am also concerned at how much she is trying to hold me back. Any good idea I have had, be it a piece of work, display, dance routine...she has taken and attempted to make better for herself, hogging the glory and not giving me any credit.
    I'm at my wits end now. I want to have a positive working relationship with her but she is making it incredibly difficult. We have specifically been told by senior staff to do what is in the best interests of our class. In my case I feel that planning solely for my class (who are of higher ability than hers anyway) is the best thing. How do I approach this tentatively without getting into the whole politics of it all?! She has already made it clear to me that she wants to plan together again, but from past experience I am loathed to do so for the above reasons!
    Am I making a big deal about nothing? Should I just suck it up and let her take the credit? Help!

2. I would work with her on planning (team-work is an important core standard after all) - it seems like your mentor and head teacher are perfectly aware of your excellent work, and everyone else in the school knows what she is like, so you will gain from being a good team player and be able to put on future application forms how you did this (it's often in the job specification) despite difficulties. Obviously just because you plan together doesn't mean lessons have to be the same esp if you are differentiating with your class!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Can you plan together at a very basic outline level and then adapt for your own classes? The best thing for your class is that you plan their lessons, absolutely agree with you there. However that doesn't mean she can't do similar things.

It is annoying when your partner teacher is a lazy, irritating unprofessional nuisance, but it sounds as if the people that matter know the score so just get on with it is probably best. Don't let her take the credit if possible, correct her in public if necessary in a professional manner. But from my experience it is a very, very bad idea to withdraw into your own room and just get on by yourself with no reference to said teacher. It really doesn't impress senior staff and makes for utterly hopeless working relationships, though is very tempting to do.

She possibly realises that people know how well you are doing and realises she could learn from you, hence wanting to work with you again.

Good luck and fingers crossed for someone nicer next year.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Could your joint planning not indicate which ideas were suggested by each of you. A simple annotation of your initials would do. She could not then pass off your 'pearls of wisdom' as hers and she would be under pressure to have on record some of her own initialled contributions.
    If you start off planning separately and then come together to discuss, agree and perfect ideas, your draft planning will be evidence of your input.
    Suggest it under the guise of you having to independently show your planning expertise for meeting the Induction standards.

5. I had a partner teacher who was also more interested in put downs and looking good herself and had a 'do as I say not as I do' attitude. This was well known by the rest of school and she has rubbed others up the wrong way over the years too. I have learned that it isn't worth getting into the politics and sometimes you have to be the bigger person and just let them get on with it, especially when the rest of the staff know what they are like. Go with the team planning and just adapt for your class - this is how you ought to be planning anyway.
    No idea whay some people have to be so competative and difficult. Good luck with it all :)