1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Global Children's Challenge

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ShadowMan, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

Is anyone else doing this?
    I am regretting it.
    They want you to click here, fill this in, read this, download that, click there, upload this etc etc
    I have not got the time.

Can anyone explain to me in a few sentences what I've got to do without trawling through the endless emails and webpages they keep linking me to?
    Do the children reset their pedometres every day?
    Do their steps take them on a virtual journey across the globe? Is that the idea? Will there be a new location every day to look at?
    Why have none of their emails explained anything?????

I haven't told the kids yet and am thinking of throwing the whole lot in the bin!

2. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

Is anyone else doing this?
    I am regretting it.
    They want you to click here, fill this in, read this, download that, click there, upload this etc etc
    I have not got the time.

Can anyone explain to me in a few sentences what I've got to do without trawling through the endless emails and webpages they keep linking me to?
    Do the children reset their pedometres every day?
    Do their steps take them on a virtual journey across the globe? Is that the idea? Will there be a new location every day to look at?
    Why have none of their emails explained anything?????

I haven't told the kids yet and am thinking of throwing the whole lot in the bin!

3. Ha, good luck!
    I did it last year- it was hard to manage! Children forgot to wear their pedometres, i forgot to input the data, they lost them etc etc i eneded up stopping the whole thing.
    In a nut shell- the children reset their pedos every 24 hours and input how manys steps they achieved each day. It records how many steps the class takes altogether and takes them on virtual journey across the glode. You can compare your steps to those of other schools across the world.
    I'm sure if you put the effort in to train the children to record their steps etc then it will be worth it.
    Good luck - you may need it!!

4. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

Thanks Spanna. Might give it a go. See how I feel tomorrow.

5. Hi there,
    The Global Children's Challenge is a fantastic opportunity for you to encourage your students to become more active and instil in them the importance of daily activy for the rest of their lives. Not only this but they also get to go on an amazing virtual journey around the world when the steps from their pedometers are entered into our website each day.
    Shadowman - I am certain that your students will greet the Challenge with enthusiasm and excitement and I'm keen to resolve any queries you might have about how best to introduce the Challenge to them and implement it into your classroom routine over the next 50 days - I will send you a seperate message and look forward to speaking in person shortly.
    If however you feel today that you do not wish to continue, I completely understand but would urge you to let me know as soon as possible so we can reallocate your class' place on the Challenge. Places for this free-of-charge event have been in huge demand and there are thousands of other eager teachers and students who have, so far, not been lucky enough to gain a place and would love the opportunity to be a part of the adventure!
    Best Regards,
    Emily Sowden
    Global Children's Challenge