1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Glee resources

Discussion in 'Music' started by silverfern, Mar 27, 2011.

1. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Has anyone used any 'Glee' resources that they could recommend?
    Sheet music? Books? Backing CDs/tracks?
    I have seen various single-sheet choral scores online, but thought maybe there were some books on the market with several songs + piano score or CD included.
    Thanks.

2. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Slaps own forehead rather too hard...

3. I'm not very familiar with Glee but... aren't all of the songs in the show cover versions? Couldn't you just use the original versions and adapt them to the Glee formula (whatever that is!)?

Having said that, the two episodes I have had to <strike>endure</strike> sit through contained must that could be easily worked out by ear in a few minutes...

4. YesMrBronson

Glee formula = soulless, overly polished, robotic, eye-glazed, auto-tuned...

5. You can buy the choir arrangements and backing tracks from sheetmusicdirect.com and the other online sheet music sites. Did 'Don't Stop Believin' with my choir and they loved it! Not so keen on it myself, but you have to go with the flow sometimes!

6. Hmm, sounds wonderful [​IMG]

7. emacd21

emacd21 New commenter

I love Glee as the kids love it! If it means kids want to be in choirs then I all for it.I asked my year 7 and 8 students to join the choir and they ALL refused. I started doing glee songs in class, showing them clips from the show etc and I had all the kids singing and about 80 join up for a Glee Choir! Is that not better than not singing at all?
    You can use ITunes to download Backings or You Tube.
    Good luck and I hope all the people knocking the Glee influence are lucky enough to work in schools with choirs and music support not like teachers in struggling, low ability schools that will use any means to advance music!

8. Point taken - I was looking at it from my perspective (Sixth Form College setting) rather than schools. Sorry!

9. I'm with you emacd21. In my book any music is better than no music and I dint see the point in musical snobbery!

10. YesMrBronson

What are "low ability schools"?

11. YesMrBronson

Did you try doing the original versions of these songs? Or did you try doing other (better) pop music? I find kids love this too. Sadly, too many teachers (not necessarily you OP) believe that choirs have to perform religious songs, show tunes or (worst of all) World music.
    As I implied above, it isn't just a choice between Glee or nothing.

12. emacd21

emacd21 New commenter

Hi, Yes tried pop songs, original arrangements etc.. Not interested! I m not a singer myself and do not make kids do religious songs or World music songs unless they are interested. Tried original version of Lean on me, did not want to do it but do the Glee version and they all want to sing! I do not understand it myself! Just one example looked at a whole range of music but they were not interested.

13. emacd21

emacd21 New commenter

Glad someone understands!

14. emacd21

emacd21 New commenter

I am currently working in a mixed comprehensive school where most of the students are of a lower ability than students that get into say Grammer schools! None have private music lessons as the parents are from low socio economic area and nearly 70% of our students come form unempoyed families. They do not see music as a priority. So I will do anything that interests the children! Tough Behaviour and reaching out is an issue. Having any sort of choir is an achievement!!

15. emacd21

emacd21 New commenter

Hi! Did not imply that just because they were unemployed that they would not like pop songs. Just commenting on the low socio economic area. The kids are rally funny. They like Eminem but did not know who Kings of Leon were! Love Peter Andre but could not tell me anything about Bruno Mars, Neon Trees, Afro Jack etc....When I had a class today I had a discussion with the kids. They listen to Heart Fm and mostly 80's songs are played. They could answer all sorts of questions on 80's and 90's music (and most of 70's) but ask them about current music they did not know it! I have never come across a situation like this before. I will have to investigate more tomorrow. I asked a range of classes, yr. 7,8,9 and 10 today. I have yr. 11 tomorrow and see how they respond.
    I have found it interesting that they are right into 80's music though. Maybe Glee has more of an influence than we think!
    I agree it is formularized and not inspiring for music teachers at times (including myself) but like I have said it has inspired the kids at my school and they asked me about it so I am happy to go with the flo on this one!

16. YesMrBronson

Do you teach abroad?

17. If singing 'Glee' arrangements gets them up and singing then I think it's fantastic. Anything that promotes music education and gets kids buzzing about it is a bonus in my book. Ultimately the musical arrangements are current commercial ones and you could also make industry links and progression references while you're at it. Whether we like it or not it's clear that there is a market for this, whoever is writing them is sitting on a rather large pile of royalties! I don't wake up and listen to death metal but there are lots of people that do and I would never want to be a musical snob or be naive enough to think that unless they do music that I personally consider to be musically and academically intelligent that they're not learning from it. 3/4 part harmony is part of their choral training, as is counterpoint, whether it's Bach, the Beatles or Glee what does it matter? Its not my personal preference to listen to it and whenever I work on it with a group I always mix it up with something that will offer what I would consider more substantial training for them. Why don't you make them do more of a project on it, discussing the reality, discipline and determination required in the real 'Show Choirs' in the US? Incidentally, the score for the material from series 1 is available from Chappells of Bond Street.

18. YesMrBronson

What are "progression references"?

19. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

It works! The sign-up sheet has been up for a couple of hours, and already has 10 names. Beats the sum total of 4 kids who had been turning up to choir.
    I'm not saying that Glee is what I aspire to musically, but if it gets them singing and learning ensemble skills, then I'm not complaining.