1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Glasses wearers- sunglasses?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by thegothmother, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Reactolites.

2. Now ... contacts and cheap sunglasses ... sorry

Old days ... prescription sunglasses
    Better half uses those clip on things

I did have a prescription pair that changed in the different light but I seem to recall that they were costy

3. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

Reactolites....
    but I also have prescription ones as I like to have sunglasses... It doesn't bother me swapping them as I don't need to all that often...

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

I only wear glasses to read - managed to get a pair of reading sunglasses a couple of years ago at an airport - I think it was Sunglasses Hut?????????

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Since I only wear glasses for reading, I can get a pair of sunglasses over the top and wear both at the same time.
    My daughter says it looks silly, but so what?

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I have free glasses on the NHS - so no reactolites (I'd love them and maybe one day will save up money for them....but they're quite low on the 'necessary' list)
    And I can't wear contacts.
    But, I do get a free tint on my glasses on medical grounds, so my 'everyday' glasses have an amber/brown tint. Not sunglasses but helps a little.
    Apart from that I don't go out much, so maybe have less need for 'proper' sunglasses.

7. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

At my age I am afraid reactolites and vari focals, little change out of £700 but does suit all exigencies in one swoop x

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

9. Yes but don't tell him.

10. I just swap over when I need to use sunglasses. If I can't be bothered to swap over to say pop into a shop, I don't. OtherwiseI don't see the issue of swapping. The problem is my sunglasses are not varifocals like my normal ones so it is hard to read things with sunglasses on. But then I don't really sit out in the sun, so don't have that problem.

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I wear contacts and have sunglasses from the optician. I'm more sensitive than most to bright sunshine and wear them a lot so I make sure my sunglasses are really comfortable and have high quality lenses.
    Every now and then I replace my seeing-things glasses when there's a 2 for 1 offer on. I pick a second frame for sunglasses and ask for plain tinted lenses in them. They are easily the best sunglasses that I have ever had, no designer name on the frame maybe but much better than any Oakleys or Ray-Bans or whatever I've tried on. As they are opticians frames they are made to fit your face and stay on without being springy and pressing at the sides.
    Before I started doing this I wore prescription sunglasses in the same manner - which is where I got the idea from when I started with contacts.

12. Since I only wear glasses for reading, I can get a pair of sunglasses over the top and wear both at the same time.
    My daughter says it looks silly, but so what

I laughed at that giraffe - I do the same. I am so longsighted now that I need glasses for everything except driving. I wear my glasses on a string around my neck (such a good look) NOT a chain, and sunglasses on my head and can lower them as required; that way I only have two pairs to worry about. Mr C prefers to be two paces ahead of me in public - he thinks I look completely dotty. Do I care? Hell no.

13. I don't like Reactolites because I don't wish to look as if I'm wearing sunglasses on a bright winter's day. I have vari-focal specs and sunglasses made up to the same prescription, £400.

14. I used to use clip on's but finding them now is harder so I changed to the even cheaper option of simply putting a pair of cheap wrap around over my usual glasses. Yes, thats right, I wear two pairs of glasses , one over the other. I only use them to drive anyway since most of my life is spent indoors when working. Last pair of sun glasses ( which were UV filtered too, ) cost £2 from Lidl on one of their offer weeks.

15. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

I don't have a problem with changing over glasses. One pair off, other pair on. Done!
    If you're worried about cost, you can take an old pair and get them coated for about £12 at Specsavers.

16. But then where do you put the ones uve taken off? Worried about breaking them!!!
    I never knew that!!! Will certainly look into it.
    Thanks for all the replies, been a big help!!!

17. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

I have both options that I alternate between. On contacts days (ie non working days) I wear cheapy sunglasses.
    When I wear my glasses, I just switch to prescription sunglasses. They changed my life, I love them. I just keep them in a glasses case in my bag on sunny days and just switch when necessary. No hassle at all. I bought quite a classic style so even though they were expensive I have had them for 2 years and will probably last another 2 more before I consider getting new ones. I urge you to get some!I f you need new specs anyway,go to an optician where they have a BOGOF offer on frames and just choose to have one set tinted.

18. inq

inq

I've had reactolite varifocals for years but decided this time to get sunglasses and glasses (specsavers BOGOF). The glasses have some clever anti-something coating that apparently helps glare at night when driving, £69 frames, standard varifocal lenses = £148. I looked at getting rimless glasses last year- with varifocals for my prescription and no clever coatings - £500, I decided I didn't want them that much!

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Me too![​IMG]