1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Glasgow's Budget Invests in Education

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by halfajack, Feb 10, 2011.

1. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

That's what they're saying now. Saw the claim on their twitter a few hours ago and they linked to an article on their website (chrome won't let me copy and paste here!) which claims an 'inflation busting rise in the classroom supply budget.' That's the only reference to education. By 'classroom supply budget' do they mean stationery? So, spending more on pens and pencils whilst spending less on teachers and support staff can be spun as investment in education? What are your thoughts on this? I'm thinking propaganda but perhaps I'm too cynical.

2. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

My info is that they have budgeted for an increase in teacher contact time to 23.5 hrs in the following year, 2012-13.
    Surprised thaat's not been picked up.

3. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

It means there are going to be more supply teachers and less teachers with permanent contracts.

4. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Really davieee? Why would they mention inflation? Staffing costs are not directly affected by inflation but the cost of stationery is. 'classroom supply' doesn't sound like it would mean supply teachers either.

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

So does this mean they are so confident that the proposal to increase contact time will proceed, that they have actually budgeted for this? Surely this is a risky strategy, after all the proposal isn't actually in the bag yet, or is it?

6. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

If it's in their budget then they clearly feel they can go ahead with it will ye nil ye.
    NB Even COSLA haven't gone down this line (yet) so it looks as if Glasgow is going its own way. Which begs the question : if individual local autjhorities can impose their own conditions of service, what's the point of the SNCT?

7. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

"The Council is, for the second year, providing an inflation-busting rise in the classroom supply budget for every school in this city in the coming year."
    That phrase 'classroom supply budget' may be misleading.
    If it refers to educational supplies (ie books, jotters, pencils, photocopying and all other classroom equipment) that is usually calculated on a per capita basis and a figure of between £60 and £100 per pupil for the year is fairly typical.
    If it refers to the staffing budget, with particular reference to supply teachers, then presumably it would be applied to the staffing absence cover budget.
    I suppose one way to work out which it is, is to find out which of the two budgets was increased last year by more than the rate of inflation.
    If current predictions are correct, the consumer price index (CPI) is expected to rise to 4% in the next few months, double the 2% target rate. If the retail price index (RPI) is used to calculate inflation, the cost of living is expected to rise to about 5% during the same period.
    Assuming an educational supplies budget of, let's say, £80 per pupil and an 'inflation-busting rise' of, let's say, 4.5%, that would provide an increase of £3.60 per pupil for all their books, jotters, equipment etc for the coming financial year, starting in April.
    Even if a 4.5% increase is to be applied by GCC to their staffing absence cover budget, I doubt if the total sums involved would be that different.
    Of course, GCC may be basing their calculations on the current rate of inflation which I understand is somewhat lower.
    Why do the words smoke and mirrors spring to mind?

8. Edinburgh Council have the same in their budget proposals...

9. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Thanks for that. Useful to know. Do you have a document reference? Preferably on the www?