1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Glasgow Uni - Secondary interviews...

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by sunshinedawn, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Hi!
    I wouldn't worry about it. I'm pretty sure my interview was in March last year and there was about 30 of us. They tend to do the thing in stages because it's all dependent on when apps are processed, when subject tutors are available, travel for overseas interviewees etc etc They'd never ask you to come to an interview in March if they planned to do all their interviews in January :) It all depends on your subject too.

2. Hi I too have an interview for secondary education, and my interview us 3rd March. I'm actually pleased as it'll give me time to brush up for it! Worried about specific curriculum questions and haven't a clue what on earth the written task topic could be. Generic teaching questions or more current affairs within education? Any tips sunshinedawn? How did you find it?

3. Hi, my interview is on the 3rd of March - morning session.
    What subject are you - I am history?

4. Yeah I'm morning too but my subject is English. We'll probs have similar questions/written task though. Do you have a clue for any of them??

5. Hi, I had several friends who have now completed their pgde at Glasgow and they said that their interview session consisted of a written question about why you want to teach or why you want to teach your subject - not sure of exact wording.
    They also said that there was a group discussion but im not sure what about and then there was a one to one interview with someone who has taught or is teaching your subject.
    If anyone elese can clarify this then please do so!

6. well in the welcome letter it tells you that that will be the process. They also sent out a print out of the topic for group discussion and bullet points of what to include etc. My only worry is that they'll ask very specific things about the Scottish Curriculum and I haven't got a clue at present!

7. Some tips since I was asked :)
    In your interview letter you'll get a group discussion topic, so make sure you look up stuff relevant to that! And contribute, contribue in the group discussion. Don't talk over people but be confidentand respond to other people's ideas. If you see someone in the group sitting quiet, try making a point and asking what they think of it.
    I'd also check out the TES magazine articles which are on this site because they're a goldmine for up to date issues in education. Know what Curriculum for Excellence is; you don't have to know all the details so don't drive yourself crazy but at least have an idea of the main points eg. inclusion (this is a really big thing right now. children shouldn't be excluded from their learning as a result of an additional support need, behaviour etc.), group work, encouraging kids to take responsibility for some of their own learning.At the very least, look up the 4 capacities (Successful Learner, Responsible Citizen, Effective Contributer and I'm forgetting the last one) and know what those are! Don't just list them.
    You *will* be asked in the interview if you know about any current issues in education. You'll also be asked why you want to be a teacher, duh. You'll probably get asked what you think would make you a good teacher eg. are you patient? encouraging? Have examples to back these statements up eg. I've learned to be a very patient person as a result of my job because... or During my experience in a school I had a student who wasn't interested in the lesson because he found it difficult, so I went out of my way to encourage him... You'll get asked about your experience of working with children and I think they asked me about teamwork as well. They want people who can work with others, since co-operative teaching/learning between subjects is a huuuge deal right now.
    And the other part of the interview is written. You basically get an A4 sheet and a question to answer eg. what do you think a good school is? It's very straight-forward and I'm pretty certain is just to make sure people know how to write.
    Basically, if you've got an interview then you look good on paper. What they're looking for is people genuinely interested in education and most importantly, in working with children. They want to make sure you have the right personality for the job and they won't be looking to trip you up. You'll be a bundle of nerves but the interviewers are very good at putting people at ease (and they're the lecturers on the course, so they should be!), everyone else is in the same boat and the whole day will pass in a blur. So just go in there and be enthusiastic and genuine :)
    Hope this helps. I remember how nervous I was this time last year. Good luck everyone!

8. Haha...Sunshinedawn I actually LOVE you! Lol thank you so much for the tips!!

9. Some excellent advice from sunshinedawn above. It is indeed a very, very relaxed affair and the staff are lovely.
    The presentation at the start was entertaining, and the guy went through exactly what they were looking for in the written task, discussion and interview. "Whatever you do, don't say this, etc". It wasn't quite as I expected! He also picked out History and Business Studies as being particularly competitive this year.
    Discussion was first, then the written task (not under exam conditions!). Whilst the written task was going on, people were called through to be interviewed by either one or two people.
    Best of luck all. [​IMG]